Need Some Strategy Help - Can't Beat AI 5.5

Started by nickname, March 02, 2010, 08:40:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nickname

Guys, I dunno what the heck is wrong with me, but I can't for the life of me win a game against the AI 5.5 I even tried easy. I feel like the biggest noob!

Anywho, this brings me to a search of some strategy guides, as I've found almost nothing on the current Beta version. So after everyone gets it out of their system and calls me a noob, any chance you pros can share some tips? :)

Thanks guys!

David

Other than TvP I'm not having much trouble.. here's a quick rundown of what I do usually to win.

TvT - mass marines and medivacs
TvZ - helions and reapers and marines
TvP - :(
ZvT - Roaches and Banelings
ZvP - lol mutalisks
ZvZ - mass speedlings
PvT - immortals stalkers zealots
PvP - mass speed zealots
PvZ - zealots + colossius.. after the initial ling rush it is pretty straight forward.

General tips
-If they expand, take some units and harass.. use the distraction to set up your own expansion securely
-Wall off to hold off the initial rush
-Know what battles you can and can't win.. no need to throw away your whole army for nothing
-Make sure to scout!

Swarmling

well for one could u tell us what u build for starts and how many units u have and how many units u make and what build orders u do and when u get attack  is there army alot bigger then yours if so build more units tech less but i think V 5.5 isnt really that hard easy to make 3 gateways and pump mad zealots and rush and micro if needed..  for Zerg  i just get 2x hatchers at start and get gass and pump mad lings and roaches and i upg there attatack and ling speed so i can run up on units faster so they dont get any extra hits like the rines
i wasnt much of a terran playing in broodwar but i sure like them alot better now they have alot of fun things to do  its really easy to win with terran vs this ai just build some def and tech thors  and then attack with thors tanks and rines and that ai is toast

but yea make sure u build alot of units at the start its good to have scout the map see what hes doing fast teching or rushing u need to spot that and then counter if hes teching then u can fast expo then tech slowly and pump units to hold off untel u catch up in tech which will be easy with 2 bases anyways im back to my matchs cant wait for V6 heard it was going to be like faceing a real person doing real good builds and counters

Hades

I recorded a video of me beating 5.5 pretty easily.

Im not very good and i can beat them pretty ez.

Let me know if you want the video :)

KennYblu3

P = mass Zealots(fast run upgrade)
T = mass rines(drugs)
Z = mass hydras

dont know where your problem is to win vs this stupid bots....

ElvishSolution

What to mass to make sure you always beat the computers in every battle is pretty simple.

Terran - Vikings
Protoss - Void Rays
Zerg - Mutalisks

Build order at the very start is easy.
-Max worker pop (10 for zerg and toss, 11 for terran)
-2X depots, pylons, or overlords
-2X production building
-2X food
-keep making food as needed
-20-25 works on minerals per base, 4 per vespene geyser
-Pump units as often as money allows until you win if you want to stick low tier

-I expand when I want to start teching, in order to keep production up while you tech
-Tech what you need to win (see above)

Happy pwning!

-Elvish
Practice might make perfect, but some are good without it.

MiCrOMaN1

Our Greatest Resource is Our Mind ~ Kareem Abdul-Jabbar
Check this: http://img123.exs.cx/img123/4497/gif1.gif

ooni

Quote from: MiCrOMaN1 on March 03, 2010, 12:09:05 AM
Kinda way too easy for me...
that's prob because you played a lot of sc1 like me
People who aren't used to RTS will have problems. Unless you are saying you beat sc1 AI first time you played? XP

gg.sc2

Are you sure you're not playing the cheat version 5.5? They're ridiculously hard to beat, not that it's impossible.

If you're really asking for help, I'll give you some tips.

The most important thing is having a strong economy. I'll bet you only have 10 or so workers mining in each base throughout the whole game. You must be constantly producing workers throughout the game until each base is saturated, reason being, by the time you have enough mining at one base, you should be working on expanding already.

Just go with this general rule of mining saturation: for each patch of mineral, let it always be "glowing", meaning, don't let there be a time (whether a second, half a second, quarter of a second, etc) where a mineral patch is not being mined. Of course this isn't possible when barely starting your base, but you must balance out producing workers with building up your base and producing units until your base is saturated.

For gas, maximize efficiency of your economy by using only 3 workers per geyser. Having 4 will maximize the gas income, but not enough to be worth the delay of your 4th worker waiting for your 3rd to exit the geyser. Use that worker for minerals. Just test it, you'll see what I mean.

If you can manage to keep this massive economy building up, your income of resources will be so great you can outmass your opponent. Of course in reality, playing versus people takes more than just a strong economy to win.

Remember though, you can't just spam-build workers, you'll die to rushes. The key is balancing out your economy with your forces. Defend the rushes, and build your economy up when you can. And don't rely on just one structure to build units; whichever primary unit you are trying to mass up, build 3 or 4 of that structure in order to efficiently and quickly use up all the resources you'll be saving up from having so much mining saturation.

Hope this helps. If you need any more help, I suggest starting at SC1 and learning the basics there. With SC2, all the entertaining visuals are a hindrance to learning the core competency of the game, especially for newbies to the game.

EDIT: I just noticed you said you tried "easy"? There is no "5.5 easy" lol. The versions posted up are only "ai cheat" and "no ai cheat". You probably got the cheat one, which I assure you, most people here if not all cannot beat it 100% of the time. I was only able to win once as toss going against terran by putting up cannon defense and getting a mass of stalkers and immortals. The terran AI for some reason went mass vikings which just gets raped because they keep transforming.

RaTcHeT302

Quote from: nickname on March 02, 2010, 08:40:35 PM
Guys, I dunno what the heck is wrong with me, but I can't for the life of me win a game against the AI 5.5 I even tried easy. I feel like the biggest noob!

Anywho, this brings me to a search of some strategy guides, as I've found almost nothing on the current Beta version. So after everyone gets it out of their system and calls me a noob, any chance you pros can share some tips? :)

Thanks guys!
I usualy use Terrans :
1. Get 9 workers
2. Supply depot (at the entrance)
3. Baracks (at the entrance)
4. Supply depot (at the entrance)
5. Make 3 workers
6. Refinery
7. Make marines?
8. Bunker

Now this is more like for the starting. I don't really have a static strategy xD

ShadowTiger

Im playing with a modded V5 that cheats (blugs version), it is very challenging (normal v5 is a cakewalk for me).

Generally when playing protoss you want to build alot of zealots and a couple stalkers/sentries to survive initially and then tech up to High Templar and get storm out ASAP. Once you have storm you can easily win battles with proper placement. Immortals are pretty useful as well.

For terran, you want to bunker up and get lots of siege tanks, but against protoss you need to go light on the tanks and get banshees or ghosts (use emp). In general, terran should use lots of m&m.

For zerg, you need to get units out very quickly to counter a rush, then build an army of roaches. Once you mix roaches and mutalisks you should be able to destroy anything. Use banelings against the ai, its very effective.

I realize that it sort of defeats the purpose of the game if their is only 1 or 2 viable strategies but hopefully future ai's will be more diverse in strategy. Once you get these working you can start experimenting with other stuff.

kdronez

Come on I saw that some1 cant beat TvP xD.Ok I wont tell you how to start ,but this is the units that I'm making vs protoss.
So aaaaam I'm using only 1 barracks and I play mostly for helions and tanks :>.So after you get 1st 2 helions put the marines that defend your base until now to scout(I usualy make 4-5 marines)the key places of the map :>.Protoss usualy play for zealots+stalkers so it will be easy to take them with fast helions ofcourse you need some micro :>.After the 1st tank is rdy advance him with your army of helions+tanks.I usualy use 5-6 factorys 3 with tech lab and 2-3 with reactor :>.Maybe after that you can make some thors,but I never manage to go that far, the AI died too fast xD.
PvAll Ai just die too fast man theres actualy no tactics here :>,but with zealots+sentry its easyer for me or maybe mass stalkers :>.
ZvAll Roaches+Hydras is the best combo for me :>.I tryed some bailings drops just for fun xD.

chetjan

well look at the bright side, you have a challenge and more fun than those who can beat the AI easily. What race do you prefer?

kblood

My opening is usually to begin maxing out workers. Before maxing out workers, one of them needs to make the first food place (overlord, supply depot, pylon). Do this so you can keep pumping out workers. I usually go for a very quick expansion, so after having about 12-14 workers, I might pause making more workers to begin the first expansion. It will have me risk getting hurt at the first rush, especially if it is zerg that is rushing, but usually that does not happen because I catch up to the AI fast with my extra resources.
Go for at least 18 workers on minerals (unless it is a smaller than usual mineral place) I am guessing 2-3 workers per mineral ore at the first base. While making all these workers and waiting for the expansion to be done, it should at some point be possible to start making something to make units (barracks, gateway, zergling pit). If Terran or Protoss then make at least 2, because you will need this to catch up with the number of units that might rush you, and possibly take out your expansion.
That should get you going. Usually this opening lets me pick whatever I would like to go for, which is usually varied troops. A bit defense to let the AI get some momentum :) I guess attacking it from the beginning, especially with this non rush build up, might be challenging as well.
I am not a pro player, but I got a few tips from some friends when I played the first Starcraft game, and some of them were very pro players.