Need Some Strategy Help - Can't Beat AI 5.5

Started by nickname, March 02, 2010, 08:40:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

drunknfoo

my 2cents...

1)for any race @start, always 1 gatherer per mineral field (micro in 2s or 3s then split split them). it made a diff in sc, bw, wc3 and now in sc2.

2) always upgrade for only the units you're producing/massing progressively.

3) always spend your money, you should never have more than 400 minerals unless you're planning to make an expansion.... if you're not to sure what to do, you're either not making enough units or you're not upgrading/building.  (this is true for start-mid game, end game is whatever you exceed due to expansions or if you hit limit)

for zerg always 11/10 b4 making the overlord, if you get 6 or 8 pooled by pc or a player use ur drones, micro and defend then resume gathering.

(if you're not sure what to do, at 10/10, reserve 75minerals build extractor, build drone, cancel extractor. wait for 30minerals then build the overlord.  Then at 200 pool, a few lings, overlord, queen (use her abilities), then 2nd hatch, start with roaches, then move upto hydras,  the rest is upto you....

terran, always pump out suvs, double rax = mm, double factory= tanks, double starports = medivacs, at this point u probably have about a dozen and a 1/2 marines, 4 tanks, 2-3 medivacs.... start pumping marauders, vikings and tanks/thors...

toss... really? just keep pumping out units and upgrade... my build order, 8 zealots give or take, to about 4 stalkers, then i work on expansion, then start pumpting out more zealots, stalkers and then voidrays (orwhatever they're called).

All i can really say if you're having problems is that ur either not doubling/tripling up the buildings, expanding or not spending your resources.   

RaTcHeT302

Protos are bitches, sorry but i had to say that. If you don't actualy pressure them they will it come with a giant army of carriers. Nothing and i say NOTHING can't stop these things, only a nuke maybe...

For the other races you can just build a bunker, block your entrance and after make your army and etc...

[mrn]

Quote from: nickname on March 02, 2010, 08:40:35 PM
Guys, I dunno what the heck is wrong with me, but I can't for the life of me win a game against the AI 5.5 I even tried easy. I feel like the biggest noob!
I hear you man. I had the same problem just a while ago. I had "some" experience in SC1 before I moved to SC2, but that didn't count much when I noticed that the way I had played the previous version didn't do much good with these killer AIs :D I googled for some strategy tips especially for Protoss player, and ultimatelly found some at the official Blizzard board. Those helped me alot though I still have lots of stuff to learn, like the hotkeys and resource flow.

Anyways, I recorded one match against terran-cpu (StarCrack AI 6.1, non-cheating), and I think it shows fairly well how to resist CPUs rush and to "quickly" counter attack. I should've done some scouting first but meh.. And also it's kinda TOO easy to play with this strategy, so I usually don't attack the CPU right away, just to give him some time :P

You can see the vid here (terrans attack @ 7:29): Quick PvT game against SC AI (v6.1)

Please do give me some comments aswell how to improve my gameplay :P

madmarttigan

The AI is horribly easy to rush once you fend off their first wave. If you have your build order down correctly and keep spamming workers and units you should be able to beat them in the beginning. I get bored of that though and let them build up. I have to say the toughest one to face is protoss because of their mass carrier production, and I feel like there aren't a lot of good anti air options to face constant carrier spamming.