StarIAI (Interactive AI) v0.3 [Only Protoss]

Started by DarkZeros, March 03, 2010, 07:23:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ooni

Yeah, played it. Good news and bad news
The Build
Protoss AI has variety in his/her arsenal but it seems to be Jack of All Trades and master of none. During the Battle I saw 3 phoenixes, 2 collosi and 2 immortals and good mix of stalkers and zealots. You would think that's a decent army but no. I was played Terran 3 times(teching (bio/mech) and rushing), I came to this conclusion. AI is just too poor economy wise. Even you don't harass, it will have a poor economy because it's building too much variety. Don't get me wrong, variety is good in SC2, harder to counter. However years of SC taught me this, go with one genre (e.g. bio, mech or air) after you expand and have spare resources then go variety.The fundamental build of this AI is wrong. Why would the AI go so many different kind of units with only one expansion? It does not have enough resource to sustain it. Yes, if you tech and never attack, the Protoss army becomes pretty large. Even then once you destroy their army AI doesn't have the resource to recover.

AI Micro
Slightly better than v5.5 and goose's AI. I didn't see anything terribly stupid from the AI.

Fun or Not?
I guess it's always going to come to this. The answer is sorta. The AI is like a noob SC player. This is a vast improvement compared to other AIs which feels like you are playing against a box. The AIs will not start moving into your base and back and base and back. Nor the AI will suicide its units. When reapers try to harass they will respond fairly quickly, some probes even moved towards me (didn't attack me though). Still the same problem as they move away as soon as reaper hides.Computer picks a battle then goes all in. I liked that part.

6.5/10 below expectation

dantemp

If it's installed corectly, should I get the message ""prepare for terrible terrible damage Starcrack V5.0" considering that the last version I used was 5.5?

Kernel64

Quote from: r3ddrag0nx on March 03, 2010, 10:44:24 PM
Any decent players here tested this yet? If you can win in 15mins or less, it's still marginal in real gains at least for ladder training, but any gain is a good gain.

It's much more showing an SCBW AI behavior, (not BWAI Gold). Perhaps the code can be improved to check conditions and execute commads respectively.

Say, for example, the AI will only build the 7 zealots if the opponent is ZERG and etc,etc.

Overall, what I like about this AI is how it's been done and structured.

pondloso

I think it best AI so far i test 2 game 1v1 AI very good as push but have to another test for best result

siman

This is so useful for me, as it only contains two files, I could let them do some AI fight

I am editing the Terran AI, just tried two TvP matches, using all default TriggerLibs except the two Protoss and two Terran galaxy files. This is better than play with the default very easy AI and I could do more debug work in late game. Still, this AI is a bit weak, and it never attack my AI's base in the two games.

sublime

i played it twice last night. i do not know why, but it doesn't seem to attack until i expand. I have a theory that it will not attack unless it sees an enemy nex/hatch/cc. i kept units in the entrance of my base and the enemy scout never came in, so their units just hang out. when i expand and put up a nexus the scout can get to, their probe comes by and almost like clockwork i see the enemy coming at me. in the second game i tried to provoke it and i think it will correct the problem if I do, only their army sort of split in half and was wiped out too easily.

one other thing i noticed is it never makes observers. it loves to build dark templar (awesome) but if i try to make any back at it it will let its entire army fall to 2 of them and never try to detect them.

this is by far the best non-cheating protoss AI i have played against so far macro wise. it builds fast, upgrades and comes at me with a variety of units. when i get home from work i want to test my skills with the other races against it...i've only done PP so far

pixartist

:( I just played a match TvP and it was not hard at all despite the fact that I'm a total rts noob... I just raped his eco with reavers and then massed some ravens and killed him with raventurrets. He didn't push, he didn't harass, he didn't scout.. nothing Oo
His army was okay (zeals, a lot of stalkers, some immortals and some of those shield thingies) but he couldnt defend against my nitro reavers :/

DarkZeros

This was only the "first working release". I'm going coing to code today more parts.

Update soon.

kblood

Quote from: pixartist on March 04, 2010, 11:34:48 AM
:( I just played a match TvP and it was not hard at all despite the fact that I'm a total rts noob... I just raped his eco with reavers and then massed some ravens and killed him with raventurrets. He didn't push, he didn't harass, he didn't scout.. nothing Oo
His army was okay (zeals, a lot of stalkers, some immortals and some of those shield thingies) but he couldnt defend against my nitro reavers :/

Why does people always think that an AI is bad because you can take out its income, and then pwn it? Real players can easily fall for resources being back stabbed by a drop, or units going in and out. So many players here seem to expect a good AI is rated by how well it counters a rush or sneaking in units to take out the gatherers. That is one thing AI can never defend completely against.
However this AI did put up a lot more base defense than any other AI I have seen. Maybe because I ran it with the cheat version of 5.5 giving it more resources. Also it beat the crap out of two zerg. The battle was two protoss vs two zerg. I was observing.

ooni

v0.1
Looked back at some replays as well and the AI has a horrible income:production ratio, why have millions of structures that you can't possibly produce from? The AI literally built almost every structure while on his natural expo, that's just not right. It's a classic noob mistake we have done at least once, but this AI does it over and over again.
Just need to fix that.

Dizmaul

Quote from: pixartist on March 04, 2010, 11:34:48 AM

so many people say reavers i wonder why?? lol id understand if it was the same race maybe...REAPERS!!!

kblood

I just played against this AI 1 on 1. I used it with 5.5 with cheats, so it should have had plenty of resources. What I like about it is that it seems it uses those resources.
Pros:
It seems to keep building armies and attack until it is out of resources. It also builds all types of units, making it possible to try different kinds of units against them. I have not been up against that many stalkers yet, and they seem to count as both a flying and a ground unit. They are really nasty against ground units still though.
It was probably mostly because I expanded my defense, but it did attack several places in my defense. At a few points it even seemed to be about to breach my defense, and playing Terran that is quite a defense. It managed to take out my third expansion.
It even pushed back my attacks. The first 2-3 attacks I did were pushed back. Probably because I was trying with marines and other foot soldiers, with medivacs above them. I just love that combo. They proved to be a lethal combo, but I lost quite a few units as well though.
It actually even upgrades its units :) Something that certainly is missing in the Starcrack AI. I doubt that AI will even make as much as two upgrades doing a whole game.
Cons:
It did not attack me at all at first. Even after making my first expansion. It seems it was just massing troops in the middle. I did not try making even a little rush attack against it, and I guess that was one of the reasons. When one of my SCVs went to make its first expansion it started attacking. After that came wave after wave of carriers, stalkers, zealots... well everything except the mothership. It did not do the classic AI mistakes of pulling back all the time and then trying to attack again straight away. When it attacked, it kept attacking, and instead of just loosing troops due to pulling back again too much, it got a few units killed and destroyed a few buildings. Mostly bunkers and rocket towers. It just does not seem agressive enough, but still it was alot more fun than the computers that just sends wave after wave of units that cant touch my defense at all.
As already said, this AI seems to lack early game, but I do not mind that, if that is the reason it gets fully teched so fast, and does upgrades. I guess I will have to try and see if it can defend a bit against rushes. I think it can in fact since it must be making quite a few defensive units in the beginning.
Would be nice it the AI tried using the Mothership :)

chetjan

apriores

A really impressive AI. One thing I hope can be changed... When he's taking a new exp, all his production operations is stopped until both Assimilators are done. It is a way to not stopping him in this situations?

krutoistudent

tested it with 5.5 cheat ai, well it was quite entertaining in early game but it didnt expand and sucked totaly in middelgame (overrun it with ling roaches and hydra +2infestor for mindcontroll of immortals and coulosses)

the only differents to 5.5 cheated ai i see is the unit mix (used even phoenix and hunt some lord, i wish it would use gravity on my most important units and they should harass more the overlord, since i spread them out everywhere to creap the whole map for faster movements :)

so summary:
+ unitmix
+ good early game (thanks to unit mix)

- missing mini rush at start (in pvz it should try to deny first expansion with probe and should go harass with first zealot, if zerg fast expand before pool)
- middel game horribe (macro just didnt exist and his second attack it far too late, seriously if i knew he would wait so long with his attack i would have just double expand)
- expansion policy didnt exist (well it was 5.5 cheated ai, so maybe it had enough ressources to spend i dont know, but since his units amount was so low i guess it has here the biggest problem)
- middelgame units should more harass (units like phonex should go and hunt overloards should go and gravity important units and kill them, like queen or infestor who in example just mind controll the colousses or immortals)
- lategame (dont know yet, since ai dies in middelgame to easy)
- variation of game openings and main strategie (focus on colousses or on high templer)

this is just of the view of zerg vs toss ai

edit: +means positiv about ai , -means very important things the ai is missing