StarIAI (Interactive AI) v0.3 [Only Protoss]

Started by DarkZeros, March 03, 2010, 07:23:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hahahobun

general comments: nice mix of units. bad that AI goes for both air and ground.
wasted resources on buildings.
pros: one of the best AI i ever played.
         * when i battled the AI in mid-game, i massed ~10 stalkers and 10 zealots and 1 immortal to its main base. i found out that he got more than 4 immortals and i was forced to retreat. then its phoenix came and g beamed my immortal and killed it. i literally wowed at that good play. another one is that the AI finally defended its base by more than 7 cannons, but got wiped by 3 colosus with range boost.
         one more thing, this is the first AI that uses warp gates

cons: in the about 25 mins game(giving the AI chances), it didnt even attacked me once, i built a proxy pylon near the watchtower waiting for him, but all it did was blocking the cliff with units, that was sad. Also i didnt see any scouts

well i know nothing about AI scripts, but can AI read my units and build counters?
like if it sees a new expansion then he will attack it.
or if he sees mass immortals then he will warp in zealots?

good job and cheers! keep it up.
ps. i suggest focusing on the protoss AI before starting others, cuz i like protoss most!

DarkZeros

Thanks for he feedback. I was planing to change the AI to make it more units specific, so it will massively build some kind of unit only (and specialice in Air or Ground only). Also, depending on the type of units, research only the techs regarding thouse types, and only build the needed buildings
I also plan to make it expand faster, and build much more units and less buildings.
As some of you noticed, the AI is in "defend mode" at the game start. I made it that way because thats what i do when i play :P (but this time it will a little bit more random)

But I have no group of people (just me xDD) and i have so little time to do this.

I hope that today i can release a new version, that will be a little bit more *random*, and hard.

hahahobun

wish you good luck, but is it possible to make the AI expand when it found itself low on gas such that it needs more high tech buildings/ units? cuz if random expansion that would be crappy.

bustya

Wow, i finally lost.

It took a while before i actually saw the opponent, but once i did, he had a lot of buddies with him and made it through my defences.

Thanks for the challenge.

sLayed

For those who say building a fully mixed army from the get-go is a failure tactic, please just watch some jaedong fantasy games. The amazing thing about zerg is every unit the race can make stems from the hatchery, allowing for a very diverse and ever adapting build especially considering the cost of the units.  This is of course beautifully countered by the fantasy build, where the individuals skill is truly brought out and great games of starcraft can be played.  Both races are tested to the limit, and the players ability to utilize each unit in counter to their opponent is tested miraculously.  The fantasy build goes up literally 80% of the techtree in 5 minutes or so.  Early vulture harass into wraith or dropships, followed by possible valkyries or goliaths or even another swap into medic marine tank army.  The "vulture => valkyrie => mm army complimented by tanks" can be seen in the 2009 OSL Finals, Jaedong vs Fantasy: '09 Batoo OSL Finals - Jaedong vs. Fantasy 1set 1/2 (Eng. Com.)  Hope you enjoy this great game of starcraft.  This whole series is really nice I find as it's a great and unique display of Zerg against Terran.  Perhaps you might also want to watch some Jaedong vs Bisu games as they both typically use a similar mixed unit style.  For example corsair reaver to dt drop, zealot drop, to high temps and archons.

Okay, something more important now.  I have created a folder in my Starcraft II Beta folder called TriggerLib and I have placed the .galaxy files into that folder.  Is that all I need to do to play with this new Protoss AI?  What should I select as the difficulty with the Launcher?  Thanks!

Gamewiz

So I just tried this AI... I have to say I do not like it at all. Sure, they massed a very large force and placed defenses at his expanses, but they never attacked me ONCE. And the defenses did nothing, because I just built 3 banshees and went behind his mineral line and wiped out all his expansions. Then I just built up a massive force of around 20 Battlecruisers and just marched on his base, wiping at his force and his base in about 3 minutes. The entire match was about 40 minutes, so I gave them plenty of time to do something.

And yes, I'm 100% sure I loaded it properly. I got the confirmation at the start of the game that the AI was loaded.

killabyte

this would be a pretty challenging ai if they would work together against you.  wouldn't hurt if they would upgrade too.  i guess maybe blizzard left the code out for that since no one has put it in yet.  not complaining, just observing.

i was playing as terran vs 2 terran and 1 zerg on lost temple last night.  one of the terran ai began attacking me so i went after it and then the zerg went after my base so i had to retreat and defend.  i wasn't expecting much from it so i was just using my offensive force as my defense.  the other terran ai had evidently been hit early by the zerg because they had one base in the corner that you had to get to by air and were only mining.

Gamewiz

Quote from: killabyte on March 05, 2010, 10:22:58 AM
this would be a pretty challenging ai if they would work together against you.  wouldn't hurt if they would upgrade too.  i guess maybe blizzard left the code out for that since no one has put it in yet.  not complaining, just observing.

i was playing as terran vs 2 terran and 1 zerg on lost temple last night.  one of the terran ai began attacking me so i went after it and then the zerg went after my base so i had to retreat and defend.  i wasn't expecting much from it so i was just using my offensive force as my defense.  the other terran ai had evidently been hit early by the zerg because they had one base in the corner that you had to get to by air and were only mining.

Did you not read his OP? This AI is for Protoss only. So the ones that beat you are from a different AI.

sublime

the AI definitely upgrades. I saw 1 upgrade on ground weapons and zealot charge

killabyte

Quote from: Gamewiz on March 05, 2010, 10:26:25 AMDid you not read his OP? This AI is for Protoss only. So the ones that beat you are from a different AI.

i'm well aware of that.  i think i posted my initial reactions to it quite a few pages back.  i was just commenting on how much funner this would be if the AI's worked together and upgraded and was using that game last night as an example.

to the guy that posted that vid of the koreans playing - that is freaking hilarious how excited they get over that.  like it's a real sport or something   hahaha

Gamewiz

Quote from: killabyte on March 05, 2010, 11:36:59 AM
Quote from: Gamewiz on March 05, 2010, 10:26:25 AMDid you not read his OP? This AI is for Protoss only. So the ones that beat you are from a different AI.

i'm well aware of that.  i think i posted my initial reactions to it quite a few pages back.  i was just commenting on how much funner this would be if the AI's worked together and upgraded and was using that game last night as an example.

to the guy that posted that vid of the koreans playing - that is freaking hilarious how excited they get over that.  like it's a real sport or something   hahaha

They treat it like it's a freakin' religion over there... It's kind of hilarious. I liked playing SC1, but damn...

tanknology

First, I have to say that your AI is much better than anything else I've tried thus far.
Very impressing stuff. Keep it up!

I played against it a couple of times but mostly I have been pitting it against the AI5.5 and watching them duke it out, and let me tell you your AI is much better.
It builds better, spends minerals better, upgrades, mixes up units (zealots, stallkers, immortals, dts), builds defenses at expansions. All-in-all pretty neat stuff.

HOWEVER -- it refuses to take incentive and attack. It will have an overwhelming force, drive it all the way to the opponent's expansion, kill 1 SCV and then turn around and go back to its base. (while the CC remains unprotected because terran forces are long dead)

Although AI5.5 is not even close to being able to build/upgrade/expand as good as your AI, AI5.5 is FAR more aggressive. It tries to attack many times even though its forces are at best 1/3 the size of your AI. Your AI can end the game at any given moment yet it just hangs out for 15-20 mins doing pretty much nothing unless its attacked.

I haven't seen a ZERG (AI5.5) vs your TOSS AI. I think that would be very intresting since I find the zerg version of the AI5.5 to be the best one of the three. (Z T P)

kblood

I have tested this AI a few times on 4 player maps, me being the observer. It seems to win every time. Zerg looses big time on pulling back too often. Somehow this protoss AI is much better at micro management, instead of the indecisive behavior of the Starcrack AI so far. My guess is Starcrack v6 will rectify that by the sounds of it. I mostly used the Starcrack v5.5 AI with cheats. Guess that might make it easier for this protoss AI, but as far as I know it also wins without the cheat version.
It was 1 protoss vs 2 terran and 1 zerg. This protoss AI just took them out one by one. I guess it also might be because protoss is a very strong race, that does not need to use burrow or repair to keep its troops up. Still it does it all, it upgrades techs, even quite early in comparison. It always gets over 150 food, unless destroyed early I guess, and although it seems to pull back at times it does not need to, it still seems to have a nice balance of protecting its troops and suiciding them in favor of more kills.
AI players trying to rush can be surprising, but usually fails, because if you know it might rush, it is quite easy to defend against. Later in the game other AIs really seem to fail at being a challenge, due to not making a big enough army but probably mostly because it has a bugged fall back and attack part of the AI.

sLayed

How do I know if it's working? I did what you said but I don't see the "XYZ Loaded Successfully" and I don't see any other change.

kblood

Quote from: sLayed on March 05, 2010, 03:32:54 PM
How do I know if it's working? I did what you said but I don't see the "XYZ Loaded Successfully" and I don't see any other change.
It only writes this when there is a protoss player on the map. So might just be lack of a protoss computer that is the reason for no text. If you have a Starcrack AI installed, it should write a text for each computer in the game, and then if any of them are protoss another text will show from this AI.
I have installed this AI by putting the two protoss AI files into a TriggerLibs folder directly in the Starcraft 2 Beta folder wherever that is on the computer. Then either use either the original or one of the Starcrack AI in the Liberty.SC2Modin in the mods folder. When put there it needs to be a Base.SC2Data file.