Whiner's Galore

Started by Rain[sun], March 03, 2010, 07:45:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rain[sun]

I've been seeing a steady rise in people whining about the feature of SCII, talking about how its crap and they're going to lose a lot of fans and buyers. Correct me if I'm wrong, but this is how I'm seeing it.

A) LAN play requires you to connect to the internet to maintain a connection, so you can have a friends list etc.. Players whine about it saying the consumer is getting shafted. I'm sorry but how are you whining right now? Through the internet... Battle.net 2.0 will NOT cost a premium or a payment, its been stated a hundred times. If you can troll forums, you can do LAN play.

B) The pirates who disagree with the above and think it should be free. Did you spend the years developping SCII? Point invalid.

C) Single player achievements don't save to your online account when you're playing locally, you have to play as a Guest account. Again, where's the issue? You can still play your beloved campaign, why would you want it any other way?

D) My absolute personal favorite: The drama over the Galaxy Editor allowing maker's to charge for their projects. You aren't signing a contract saying you will buy x amount of maps a month, you aren't even obligated to browse the paid maps section.

I'd be willing to bet the keystone maps of SCII (Dota, Tower D, Evo's, whatever it is) will be free as they are so damn popular, and only a tiny fraction would pay. However I think the map makers of the major ones will branch off and make maps that cost money, seeing as how they'd probably get a ton of traffic. 
Edit: On second thought, they might even charge for their frontline games and have the side ones free. But even if that scenario plays out, you don't need to buy it. If you do, you can bet a trusted dev team that is making money will work fulltime on making it the best map they can so you arent paying 5$ of the same crap you played on WC3.

In the end, there will be some free, some not, if you have an issue with it then just make a map yourself. In the wise words of this intrepid user...

Quote from: cyricc on March 01, 2010, 11:36:50 PM
Quote from: Nova on March 01, 2010, 10:04:15 PM
That is so incredible.

"Yo dawg I heard you like to play games, so we let you make games in your game..."

"Yo dawg we heard you like to makes games in your game, so we are gonna hire you to make our game"

....Really? Were you dropped on your head as a child? If someone honestly thinks that's worth an answer I'll give one but... damn.

I'm still trying to figure out when games stopped being about having fun, and when they became being about demanding for features you want. If you pay you should get what you want, but you cant expect them to update the game based on your needs after you pay. Simple solution, dont like what you see, dont buy!

Either way, just have fun
better wear your shades, the spotlights here can burn holes through the stage

Bebops

Yo dawg, I herd u like to whine about whining, so we put whiner in a whine thread, so u can whine while you whine.

apriores

LAN should be there for those with no internet connection or with a low speed one which can make your life a hell with messages like "waiting for player" when you'll try to play through battlenet even with your brother in the same house. LAN is speed and a real connection with your friends. Instead, battlenet tend to keep you alone, only with a virtual socializing.
Am I wrong?...

Rain[sun]

@Bepops its nice to know you know the difference between insulting and whining

I never got the idea of LAN play, whenever i played with people I knew it was online so we could play against other people, I have no interest in going to a LAN party, that just has grease written all over it

Artanis186

Without whiners, where's criticism? Without criticism, where's improvement?

Nova

If you've never played over LAN, or don't see the appeal to LAN, then you have a bias perspective.

Not my personal opinion, but some people oppose no-lan because it means Blizzard has a stronger grasp over e-sports.

The entire world doesn't live in North America, when you can get two-digit pings on dailup. Without a LAN option, the rest of the world suffers shitty pings. Us Australians, for example, will never get under 150 ping connecting to a Blizzard server.

QuoteYo dawg, I herd u like to whine about whining, so we put whiner in a whine thread, so u can whine while you whine.

Thane

Rain, you're incorrect. Merely because I can get onto the forums does not mean I have the capability to access Battle.net. Those of us who like to play games like this but are unfortunate enough to be behind proxies should not be punished merely because they are once again attempting to keep the pirates out. SC1 had plenty of private servers, the same thing will happen with SCII.

Since this is the case, don't have us rent the game so that we have to connect to their damn servers in order to play with friends. It makes no sense, adds hassle to the game, and keeps us from having LAN parties unless we also have a wireless router in the room. We like to have them in strange places sometimes. With SC1 we didn't need to be connected to the internet, merely to a network.

Rain[sun]

I wasnt being sarcastic when I said correct me if I'm wrong, I haven't until now read an actual intelligent reason behind the people complaining. They just all have so far said the same message, saying blizz is money hungry and blahblahblah.

I had no idea people even played the original SC over LAN to be honest. In that case I think that it is a little bit ridiculous that it should need to be connected to the internet. I guess that's defeating the purpose of LAN. I know absolutely nothing about networks and what not, seeing as how easy it is for people in my area to hop on to any network and play games with low pings. Hell, in SC1 we'd play games with LAN or near LAN latency using Chaos.

But the LAN issue wasn't one of the bigger things Im seeing, its more just overall blaming blizzard for not catering to everyones needs. Im for sure not the only one who reads these posts, and since none of us can change it what the hell is the point of posting it?

There's also a big difference between pointless crying and intelligent discussion, something most people on these sites have a major issue discerning.

LoneWolf

Well, not implementing LAN capability is quite silly. Now instead of people playing locally, they will ALL have to be connected to the internet at the same time. It's like reaching for the left pocket in your pants, with your right hand. Also, you won't be able to play in places, where there is no internet.
On the other hand, with rappid development of optic networks, the beforementioned is becoming less and less of a problem. And since nowadays we mostly require 24/7 internet connection, whether it be on our PCs, laptops or mobile phones, we'll just get used to having to connect to battle.net2 for everything. Let's face it, most of us in EU and US are already constantly connected to the net, and it's pretty similar in Asia and other regions.

As far as the payable Galaxy editor mods go, it depends on which direction they take. If people are going to charge for their mini-games and whatnot, I don't have any problem, as I don't intend to buy them anyway. Being charged for new SC2 maps is another thing though, especially if payable maps appear on official ladders and tournaments. I really hate additional charges, that's why I don't own any consoles, I want full content from the start, not DLCs. I really hope things won't go in that dirrection.

millenium

And if they ban me from battle.net:D What I'll do, even I bought the original game?! If I wanna play multyplayer shall I have buy another one original copy?  >:( I don't wanna fell so dependent from few ppl...

Go Go Go DarkBlizz Devs & company! :D

Rain[sun]

A good business model to follow for them is XBox Live. Halo 3 is a prime example of people notwanting to pay more but being forced to buy the mappacks to play in certain playlists, im thinking itll be similar, but maybe not

Bebops

@Rain

You made a post to insult people.

Good job mate, seems almost as productive as whining.

I buy games on my Iphone, I'll gladly spend 5 bucks to buy some really amazing user created map, like island defense or dota. If you don't have a job, and live with your parents, then I can see how this might be cause for concern.

Most of the maps (90%) are gonna be free, relax. The really premo ones will just have less 13 year olds who don't have a credit card, so it's a win win for me personally.

8)

Rain[sun]

In my opinion the only way for whining to stop is for people to tell them their place. Otherwise they don't realize how stupid they sound.

I live with friends, have a credit card, and I wouldn't buy maps for a video game. 5$ is cheap but buying 10 maps doesn't give me as much fun as SC2 itself does, for the same cost. Not much sense to that for me. If they're like Apps where most are .99 then I'd consider a couple

I do agree that there will be a lot less annoying kids on the good maps if they cost