StarCrack AI Official Feedback Thread (V5.5)

Started by turdburgler, March 01, 2010, 09:57:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WildFire

dude I feel noobish they are pwning my ass so fast... I get 5 lots out and they attack me with 6 rines 1 vik and 6 murders or w/e they called... i beat that round then 1 min latter they attacked with 20 vikings... was lame...

Tankoz

Very impressed so far, played several games against all AI but some observations:

Protoss:
AI sent an early zealot rush that took out my fast expand, I walled myself in my main and teched to carries\void rays. It then sent its usual zealot\stalker army which lost out to my 2 carriers + wall in. I sent my 5 carriers\rays into its bases as it was just building carriers, even though it had 3 bases to my 1 base. It did send a lone archon into my base as well a couple of times.

Zerg: I like the roaches\ling waves it keeps sending, hard to vs as zerg but when I was terran I was able to wall off and repair a single bunker to take them all out (they didn't bother with the scv's even though they were pretty much surrounding it) and were easy pickings after that.

Terran: Vsed them a couple times as protoss, they built a lot of helions\marines but I walled in and teched to colossi and the computer didn't really have an answer to it.

Not sure how much control you have, but it would be nice if it built counters from the information it gathers via scouting.

profelmo

Played TvZ and TvP&T and lost both lol

In TvZ, wasn't expecting zerg to constantly harass/rush with lings, so they overwhelmed me as I had no defense.

in second game I went tanks/marauders/reapers and P/T both countered with air :l.  good work guys!

ElvishSolution

I will move my v5.1 reports to this thread.  Testing v5.5 reports in the morning.
Practice might make perfect, but some are good without it.

samamanjaro

great work, one question, is the cheating version harder? and if so, how much.

dantemp

great job with the AI guys, but pls, make'em use some antiair! It's ridicilous how easy is to beat the AI with Mutta's. A couple of spine crawlers, 1 Queen and 5-6 zerglings (and a little bit of micro) were more than enough to keep my base long enough to get the first Mutta's out and from than on it was a massacre. Neigther Toss, nor Zerg makes any antiair (except the Stalkers, but they are to few to be a problem). I'm not verry sure what should I do agains the Terran if I'm Zerg, but any other match is an easy win. 
The funny thing is, if I try to play only with ground units (without blonking my entrance) I'd be dead after the second wave xD So, balance it out a bit :)

SanctifiedDevil

Just played my first game of v5.5

1/1/1/1 - T/T/P/Z

Zerg cleared the terran and toss. The terran ran and slowly built its forces back up, I had one siege tank keeping the terran from building much and later I pulled it away for reinforcements..I looked back over and they had a huge base pumping out vikings. The zerg contently splashed on my walls I sent 6 Thors in at zerg as in the other AIs this was usually enough, however, they didn't even make it to any of the zerg bases. After that I seen the zerg had pretty much taken the whole map over except what the terrans were holding on to. They sent one last rush in and forced their way in and destroyed my main base. They came straight after my expansion that I had a planetary fortress exp. on. I put all my scvs on the fortress repairing and held off a wave or two..before I could get much built up they took it also.

Pros:
-1000x better. A lot more of a challenge.
-consistently attacked with nice size waves.
-They never gave up and continued to expand over the whole map.
-It seemed to me they noticed their waves weren't big enough. So they kept making them bigger and bigger till they got through.

Cons:
-They still retreat and do the whole pacing thing (I know you guys can't figure that one out)
-Still don't upgrade anything
-Still don't respond to nukes (Hit em 3 times with one.)

ooni

Quote from: SanctifiedDevil on March 02, 2010, 12:21:05 AM
Just played my first game of v5.5

1/1/1/1 - T/T/P/Z

Zerg cleared the terran and toss. The terran ran and slowly built its forces back up, I had one siege tank keeping the terran from building much and later I pulled it away for reinforcements..I looked back over and they had a huge base pumping out vikings. The zerg contently splashed on my walls I sent 6 Thors in at zerg as in the other AIs this was usually enough, however, they didn't even make it to any of the zerg bases. After that I seen the zerg had pretty much taken the whole map over except what the terrans were holding on to. They sent one last rush in and forced their way in and destroyed my main base. They came straight after my expansion that I had a planetary fortress exp. on. I put all my scvs on the fortress repairing and held off a wave or two..before I could get much built up they took it also.

Pros:
-1000x better. A lot more of a challenge.
-consistently attacked with nice size waves.
-They never gave up and continued to expand over the whole map.
-It seemed to me they noticed their waves weren't big enough. So they kept making them bigger and bigger till they got through.

Cons:
-They still retreat and do the whole pacing thing (I know you guys can't figure that one out)
-Still don't upgrade anything
-Still don't respond to nukes (Hit em 3 times with one.)

Funny cause Protoss I played against upgraded blink O_O
Terran I played upgraded siege mode

You prob mean researching weapons and stuff. Yeah, I'm sure they will in later versions.

z0mg

Great progress so far!

The biggest problems that I've experienced are:

1) The AI is too easily exploitable.

-the AI will often pace back and forth, giving you free shots on them (perhaps due to your army being greater than theirs?)
-you can wall in and/or stand on a ledge and they'll be confused
-sometimes they'll just try and walk into your base without attacking (noticed it with Terran AI mainly)
-they should try to avoid attacking you at choke points unless they have a much bigger army

2) Due to (1), the AI is usually weak mid game because they lack attack units
-once you get them pacing back and forth, they do it pretty much the entire game and send only a few units at you at once

3) Needs more variety in terms of strategy.

-like others have stated, the AI could try making counter units.
-it would be nice if they used occasional tricks (dropping, hit and run VS your workers with air units/Reapers/etc.)
-the AI shouldn't necessarily expand if they can't keep up with your unit production early game

Thanks for the AI and keep up the great work!

SpYFoX_ZeRo

I tested Ver.3/4/5/5.1 and Ver 5.5 with my standard consistency and to me it was the most fun out of them all, it actually surprise me I didnt think that this one was going to be that big of a difference cause it didn't look like it at the beginning.

A course their are a few bugs that needs to be iron out, like the ones that have been posted, but its definitely an improvement.

I play 4 game 2 1v1 and 2 1v1v1v1. lost the first 1v1 game. and won all the others, It wasn't really easy but it was fun.

I tested while playing turtle/tech because i wanted to see what they would do in the mid/end game.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The 1v1 games were better. I wish someone would be able to get 1v3 actually working.

Big thanks to Starcrack.

~sorry if this post is hard to understand

orbb24

Well I just played one quick match and all I have to say is wow. I really wasn't ready for that. Normally the computer will send one wave of 5-6 guys. I would handle that and be good to go from there. This time I was T against a Z computer. I had walled in and had 2 rines and a marauder before the first ling wave came in. I held if off but they did some damage to my buildings. Now I have been getting lazy due to the easier ai and only brought one scv per building for repair. Next thing I know I have another rush of lings coming. Really wasn't expecting that. Computer never rushed more than once before. Before I cleared out that wave I had another wave of lings and roaches coming at me. Due to me getting lazy from the other ai and this ai actually doing something I got over run. I lost. My first loss to an ai so far here in SC2. Really impressed with this. Keep up the great work.

2g4u

Ty Trud finally a topic maintained by one of the authors. There was like 3-4 new topics every time when a new version of the AI came. I hope that this topic will contain all the discussions for the AI.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former!" Albert Einstein

deadeagle

So it seems that leaving AI's for too long is a very bad idea....
LT TvZvPvP
one of the P dominated everyone else and came at me with over 7 carriers and archons etc.
proved to be a challenge but i ended up winning by combine fire with vikings BC and thors. one thing i noticed is that the high temps wont psy storm ^^ not that im complaining XD. AI also expanded thorough out most of the map. i think roughly 6 expansions. way better than 5.0 and earlier versions! keep up the good work ^^

OK I have played several 4-player FFA games on Kulas Ravine and Lost Temple and every time, I was terran... The protoss player invaded my main base early with zealots every game and I lifted off my command center (and my new command center just built) and took over the high-yield minerals and nearby expansion. The protoss player never attacked my base again after that and I was able to quickly rebuild and overwhelm him with the high-yield mineral income. This happened in 3 games.

Also when the AI player expands to high-yield it doesn't defend it any better than his own natural expansion, despite it being farther away and more valuable.

You should prioritize taking and keeping the high-yield mineral patches.

bignamethefer

version 5.5 is good, i played 3 matches and lost them all, or it's because i suck