What would be cool...

Started by Artanis186, March 04, 2010, 05:15:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Artanis186

Is AI that players made in the way that, something records a players actions and takes down what they build when. I know this is breaching reality a bit, but I think that'd be really cool. ^.^

programm

Why do you need it? Replays, you can select whatever controls the player is using in replays and actions.

Zalamander

An AI will never work good playing like a human player simply put.

AIs have different advantages and have to play differently to make use of them but the AI can never compare to thinking like a real human when playing so trying to make an AI that mimics the play of a human usualy just ends in a disaster.

Artanis186

Quote from: programm on March 04, 2010, 05:17:07 AM
Why do you need it? Replays, you can select whatever controls the player is using in replays and actions.

Umm... wrong topic?

Quote from: Zalamander on March 04, 2010, 05:19:41 AMAn AI will never work good playing like a human player simply put.

AIs have different advantages and have to play differently to make use of them but the AI can never compare to thinking like a real human when playing so trying to make an AI that mimics the play of a human usualy just ends in a disaster.

Ya, I guess.

r3ddrag0nx

i think what could happen is analyzing reps the way bwchart did and implementing the most common builds w/ accurate timings down for buildings. but this would of course be the the first few buildings in the BO as everything else should be responsive/adaptive to opponent. then, u could expand on building placements, etc.

Artanis186

Ya, that's what I was thinking.

Zalamander

This is exactly what wont work. I have been there, done that etc etc. two big reasons.

1. Firstly, copying somones build order, then half way through the AI discovers that the enemy is going a tactic that will totaly own what its currently going for so it need to change. All of a sudden we have mixed 2 half done build orders and end up with something very bad and lots of resources on nothing.

2. AI is blind, it doesnt sit in front of the PC and see stuff like we do, it doesnt know exactly where to place different buildings and why and it doesnt know the shape of the current map since its built in a way that must work on any map. Meaning some good player built supply depots to turtle ramp, the AI end up just building them randomly in the base area for example.
For a blind AI to find the exact spot for turtling with buildings is extremly hard.

To put it simply, what you are thinking of is doing the "A" without the "I".
An AI need to also be Intelligent, not only Artificial.

Artanis186

Quote from: Zalamander on March 04, 2010, 07:16:37 AM
To put it simply, what you are thinking of is doing the "A" without the "I".
An AI need to also be Intelligent, not only Artificial.

Think you got that backwards. What you think I'm saying is that I want it to be intelligent, but I'm not taking the artificial part into mind.

And ya, I already thought about the Terran wall-in while making the op.

Zalamander

No I mean an AI need to be intelligent meaning it need to be able to come up with the best build order for the situation on its own without copy anyone.

the more you try to control what an AI does the wors it gets.

Imagine a real RTS AI that only needs to know what it needs and it will get to this in best possible way becuse it can think out the best way there on it's own. Only then can it start to rival the human mind. This might even invent build orders smarter than any normal player has thought of yet.

Artanis186

Quote from: Zalamander on March 04, 2010, 07:42:40 AM
No I mean an AI need to be intelligent meaning it need to be able to come up with the best build order for the situation on its own without copy anyone.

the more you try to control what an AI does the wors it gets.

Imagine a real RTS AI that only needs to know what it needs and it will get to this in best possible way becuse it can think out the best way there on it's own. Only then can it start to rival the human mind. This might even invent build orders smarter than any normal player has thought of yet.

Ya, I'm aware. But what you said is what I was thinking, yet you thought wrong of what I was thinking and I corrected what I thought you thought I was thinking... if you understand.

chetjan

Sounds cool. might be trick to implement though