LAN/Online crazy idea

Started by Rosenberg, March 04, 2010, 01:11:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rosenberg

You know what, been eons since I use to be a programmer, but this post gives me a crazy idea for lan or online playing.

Instead of desperately trying to emulate bnet why not do it via 3rd party application?

The concept:

* The application has the ability to both be client and server at the same time.

* Whenever a client connects to a host via socket or any other method, it simply launches starcraft making it think that the extra client is also a local player (not entirely sure how to locate and do this part) - which would be injected into the memory of the game and the extra local player would be placed into a different spot other than the default one (I have a faint idea of how to do this).

Having ideas like this sure makes me want to go back into programming.

What do you guys think?

Gamewiz

Unfortunately I have zero knowledge when it comes to programming, so I have no idea if something like this would work... :/

greymanic

Quote from: Gamewiz on March 04, 2010, 01:21:01 PM
Unfortunately I have zero knowledge when it comes to programming, so I have no idea if something like this would work... :/

Then why say anything?  Is this your personal blog or something?

Frosty3k

That's what I've been wondering, myself.  But I'm pretty sure it would all depend on where the packets were encrypted, yes?  If they are encrypted before sending them to the BNE server, you probably couldn't do it this way because you'd still need to decrypt them... unless the game also decrypts received packets and BNE is just a medium of transfer between clients.  If so, then you could possibly do this. :)

I'm still rather new with programming and these concepts, but I find it very fun and interesting.

Rosenberg

Quote from: Frosty3k on March 04, 2010, 01:45:07 PM
That's what I've been wondering, myself.  But I'm pretty sure it would all depend on where the packets were encrypted, yes?  If they are encrypted before sending them to the BNE server, you probably couldn't do it this way because you'd still need to decrypt them... unless the game also decrypts received packets and BNE is just a medium of transfer between clients.  If so, then you could possibly do this. :)

I'm still rather new with programming and these concepts, but I find it very fun and interesting.

In this case the packet sending would be done by the 3rd party application. The game itself is going to believe it's all local players. So, I believe no decryption is necessary. I could be wrong though.

Gamewiz

Quote from: greymanic on March 04, 2010, 01:38:31 PM

Then why say anything?  Is this your personal blog or something?

Yet you felt like replying... Irony at it's finest.

To the topic at hand, I certainly hope this idea is possible, as I'd love to get some LAN play going with my friends. :)

itsarabbit

AFAIK it's harder to make this than emulate Bnet.
Want Beta key! :D

cloak123

Quote from: itsarabbit on March 04, 2010, 03:25:28 PM
AFAIK it's harder to make this than emulate Bnet.

Well depending on how they made this battle.net maybe not. who knows since we do not have a full understanding yet

ReVoke

Gamewiz, please don't spam because both of your posts really seems like spam, if you have nothing to say/help with the idea of this, then please stay out of it.
TXlzdCBpcyBteSBiaXRjaA==

^^ Base64, Decode it =) ^^

MiCrOMaN1

Quote from: Gamewiz on March 04, 2010, 02:03:55 PM
Quote from: greymanic on March 04, 2010, 01:38:31 PM

Then why say anything?  Is this your personal blog or something?

Yet you felt like replying... Irony at it's finest.

To the topic at hand, I certainly hope this idea is possible, as I'd love to get some LAN play going with my friends. :)
LoL! 
Our Greatest Resource is Our Mind ~ Kareem Abdul-Jabbar
Check this: http://img123.exs.cx/img123/4497/gif1.gif

Myst

locked - Rosenberg: there is ongoing research on a client side authentication that is going very well.  However for your idea, of the client being both a client/server - one would need to understand how the server works. Which is what the research of emulating bnet2.0 is doing.   
If you have any other ideas post in the SC2 Beta section under research. Thanks