Question regarding LAN

Started by Gamewiz, February 28, 2010, 03:11:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gamewiz

First off thanks for all the people working on the AI! Lots of progress made on it so far!

I'm curious, however, if it's possible to implement LAN play later on down the road. I know people are working on emulating a b.net server, but for me and my friends that's not really necessary. We just want to get some lan going, because we use Hamachi (creates a virtual lan). So if LAN is a possibility (which might be easier than trying to create a fake bnet server), hamachi allows us to play "online".

Just curious if this is even a possibility, or if anyone has tried working on it.

I would, but I have no clue how to even unpack and read these files, let alone alter them. ;)

starcrafter64

Because LAN is not natively supported by the game, I doubt it is possible. I believe games need to be hosted on a server for them to function. If I am wrong and there are basic TCP/IP connection functions built in, please correct me.

Gamewiz

Quote from: starcrafter64 on February 28, 2010, 03:13:29 PM
Because LAN is not natively supported by the game, I doubt it is possible. I believe games need to be hosted on a server for them to function. If I am wrong and there are basic TCP/IP connection functions built in, please correct me.

Good point. Considering the game will be always connected online via battle.net, there is no reason to have a local network play feature. Damn... Oh well, guess I'll wait for the emu bnet

chetjan

Though wouldn't it be possible to use the same idea as a emulated battle net server over the lan so you don't have to connect to the internet? i personally don't mind though using the emulated server if it does not lag though.

Gaspa79

Honestly, I'm pretty sure hamachi will be useless for you.

dodongbadong

yah i agree i think having our own server is much possible than having it on lan. though we could face a huger problem soon since if you make a private server for sc2 surely those millions of fan out there who have not given a chance to play on blizzard's battlenet2.0 would loading up your server.

the good thing about lan for example via hamachi is having your own freedom hosting and connection to a certain ip address and together by few group of people and maybe avoiding problems with internet connectivity as well.
You make your best AI script "cheating or not"
and ill test it for you
- FREE-

chetjan

I know personally that i would only be on the server for a temporary amount of time. I would buy the game and play on battle net once it has been released (unless a ICCup equivilant becomes the main thing, then I might switch over to that, but I would definately try the new battle net)

PreTenD

A program such as PvPgn could/will make it possible, all it will have to support is a home server, where people log in directly to your pc, that's where Hamachi could be useful, playing with friends on a private server, or even on the same network (don't need hamachi for that though) the idea seems quite simple when comparing it to WoW, in-fact I believe the login data to be very similar. Once the emulated files are out it will be easy, I think people are even working on it as we speak. I always played on B.net myself anyway and so did people on my network, so I don't really care that much.

The only thing that bothered me about B.net was not being able to play a game on B.net with others, along with someone on your own network. I think that has been remedied though.
Entertain.Educate.Dominate

kblood

Quote from: Gamewiz on February 28, 2010, 03:23:38 PM
Quote from: starcrafter64 on February 28, 2010, 03:13:29 PM

Good point. Considering the game will be always connected online via battle.net, there is no reason to have a local network play feature. Damn... Oh well, guess I'll wait for the emu bnet
Yes, but Blizzard will be trying to make some features where Battle Net requires less Internet connection when playing on Bnet2 over LAN. Hopefully that could make it possible to make a LAN feature, but I doubt LAN will be possible before Bnet2 gets emulated, and I doubt that happens before the game is released.