StarCrack AI Official v6.0 preview discussion

Started by turdburgler, March 03, 2010, 09:59:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razredge

I hope you don't mind me asking...
-Is there some kind of a handling script for every unit, or nothing this complex?
-Is the AI capable of reactive play? I mean, it can choose one of the 3 builds that would be best suited to deal with my strategy, or something like that.
-Will it react to nuke warnings?

ElvishSolution

Very specific micro and counter functions will likely take a couple of more versions, I'm not part of the team myself.  I have been watching progress from the beginning, and let me say that v6 is a very important and very big step in the right direction.

Blizz isn't a stupid company and they clearly knew that the minute SC2 beta hit the web, the crackers would get to work.  Also since its intended to test multiplayer content they want to discourage players with beta keys from facing AI.  Best way to do that?  Squash the AI, and make it fail.

A complete re-write of the entire AI is the only way to get what we want because Blizzard did not include full AI, also they likely have not even completed it fully, and are waiting to see what strategy develops in beta, and incorporate that into AI.

It will take several more versions to perfect the AI, but the devs are making very fast progress, so everyone keep your pants on.
Practice might make perfect, but some are good without it.

p.W

I love you guys so much it isn't even funny. Like, if we were to meet in real life... and I somehow happened to know what you look like, to identify you... depending on the state we were in, certain statutes just might be broken.

On a serious note, two questions: 1) offensive bunkers? 2) warp-in, especially offensive warp-in? Can the AI do either in 6.0, and if not, is there hope for these kind of things in the future?

silentbob

Quote from: p.W on March 04, 2010, 12:27:27 AM
I love you guys so much it isn't even funny... depending on the state we were in, certain statutes just might be broken.

lol

Big thanks to you AI gurus!

Nakeddan

man All you guys are awesome I wish I could help but I have no idea how... BETTER AI FTW

bignamethefer

let's release a beta, version 6.0 beta, open beta, without a key requirement...

Artanis186

Jeez, the update sounds like it's gonna offer a LOT more than 5.5. I'm not gonna raise my hopes TOO much though. I mean, only 0.5 versions earlier, I could just use stalkers the entire game and win easy. Heck, I played Zerg just recently for the first time and beat 5 comps to shit with only cracklings (and some banelings early).

Misaki2010

can't wait for version 6.0, i barely beat 3 pc's on 5.5 Unsupported (but 2 of them were attacking themselves.

cory1234

Quote from: wc3ard on March 03, 2010, 10:18:50 PM
By the way, i think i saw a sc2 "mod" somewhere on the web, that lets you be a observer after defeat. Anyone know's where to download that?

It would help, if i want to see how the ai's play, so i can rate the mod more accurate.

After your match you can watch the replay...much better than being an observer..  :P You can view all aspects of the game.

Enox

Wow. Just read the update about 6.0

Honestly, I'm really awful at this game and I kind of didn't remember. The old Easy AI that everyone has in their Launchers, is of course, too fraking easy. Even the medium is easy. for some reason 5.5 (no cheating) is just really hard to me. I can't imagine 6.0 being harder. The AI just constantly throws units while simultaneously building and expanding, and I cant keep up lol. I really suck at Starcraft haha.

cory1234

Quote from: cory1234 on March 04, 2010, 01:29:36 AM
Quote from: wc3ard on March 03, 2010, 10:18:50 PM
By the way, i think i saw a sc2 "mod" somewhere on the web, that lets you be a observer after defeat. Anyone know's where to download that?

It would help, if i want to see how the ai's play, so i can rate the mod more accurate.

After your match you can watch the replay...much better than being an observer..  :P You can view all aspects of the game.

The scouts are fairly dumb..if you block the entrance they run away and keep coming back.  Also I have never seen the computer use air...

The AI has a long way to go..but I have faith in you  :) While it is still easy to beat 3 computers, it is much better than the original.

cvax

Will you have some documentation with your new functions and such? That would be bad ass.

itsarabbit

Want Beta key! :D

p.W

Quote from: Enox on March 04, 2010, 01:31:01 AM
Wow. Just read the update about 6.0

Honestly, I'm really awful at this game and I kind of didn't remember. The old Easy AI that everyone has in their Launchers, is of course, too fraking easy. Even the medium is easy. for some reason 5.5 (no cheating) is just really hard to me. I can't imagine 6.0 being harder. The AI just constantly throws units while simultaneously building and expanding, and I cant keep up lol. I really suck at Starcraft haha.

Keep in mind that players that consider the AIs very easy are most likely using a lot of tricks that exploit the AI's (lack of) intelligence. Not "on purpose" but because these exploits are standard gaming against human opponents. Walls, harassing units, and ranged units in general are all things the AI is ill-equipped to deal with.

But if you're a newbie playing Terran and don't know how to build a proper Terran wall, let alone if you don't even know what a Terran wall is... it's only natural that you're gonna have a LOT more trouble.

Skygrinder

Blood for the Blood God