Warcraft VS Starcraft

Started by Duvigneau, March 06, 2010, 10:11:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Duvigneau

After Starcraft II is released will there still be a good amount of people be playing Warcraft III? I'm asking this, since I loved making maps for Warcraft III, but I'm also excited about the Galaxy Editor. Though there is a big difference between the universes of Warcraft and Starcraft in terms of atmosphere.

I tried coming up with ideas for maps for Starcraft II, but they all seem to fit better in the Warcraft universe. Maybe it's just me needing to transition between 5 years of medieval mapmaking to sci-fi. Since I can't get my hands on the Galaxy Editor, I'm now thinking of making another Warcraft III map, but the big question is: "Will there be people left who can play it?"

What do you guys think?

madrussian190

i think they will make the same kind of maps... but more pimped out, and probably renamed...

Chakra

WarCraft III will greatly decrease population wise, but just like SCI, there will still be a lot of people who play it... I've played WC3 for seven years, and the moment SCII comes out (officially), I'll probably play WC3 like once a year. ^.^ Much of my friends on WC3 have said they'll either go to SCII or remain on WC3 and slowly quit (some say they won't go to SCII because their life would be sucked away. :D).

Maps not going with the "atmosphere" is a bad reason. You can import any model you want and redesign the entire thing... even more so than you could in WC3. :P I haven't read much into it, but it might have been so the models/skins use the same file type or are easily convertible. OFC, WC3 graphics are horrible compared to those of SC2, so I can imagine the skinners will be working overtime.

cloak123

maybe not very many ums players Since the galaxy editor will have alot of abilities not even the wc3 editor can compare to

Duvigneau

I suppose you're both right. There's no discussion in which editor will be better. I'll start thinking of some more ideas. When it comes to mapmaking I'm usually the guy who comes up with the ideas and I love to do the terraining. Even Triggers are something I like to do. But when it comes to modeling, I think it takes too much time to get models and skins akin to the current Starcraft models.

Oh well, we'll see. I'm gonna start thinking of some cooler ideas :P

kblood

If the Galaxy editor really is as powerful as they say, it should only be a matter of time before it is modded for RPG and medievel settings. Just a question of making a few textures. It would probably lag some doodads, and other stuff to put on the maps, but I am guessing there will be a way to convert Warcraft 3 graphics to Starcraft 2? I hope so at least :D

claudiu111

Simon-T.

I was used to play warcraft 3 because of tons of maps the community created. I did not lost fun playing it, but now when sc2 releases I probably will play sc2. It also has a great editor and I'm sure that the maps will be as good as wc3 maps or even better!
limpbizkit.com - the real music source

Zeroseed

Well, if they allow importing models such as in warcraft 3, then i think starcraft would be the better deal, you can do complete customization with warcraft three.. the starcraft editor supposedly has more features though.. i cant wait to play around with it.