[Entry 1] My dedication to DarkBlizz! - UPDATED -

Started by ringlas, March 20, 2010, 03:38:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ringlas

Here are sneak previews of my entry for the contest, I've updated my header bringing up a new version with three variations that could change on e.g. refresh. I hope I am not too late, despite it's last minute change!

v1

v2

v3

Optional mirrors:

http://img709.imageshack.us/img709/7342/header442010v1.jpg

http://img109.imageshack.us/img109/9696/header442010v2.jpg

http://img197.imageshack.us/img197/158/header442010v3.jpg

Thank you!

enjoikr3w

You have made this competition a lot more challenging  :'( !

But seriously, good luck  :thumbsup: .

erulabs

Definitely impressive from an art standpoint, but I think it's lacking some webdesign sense. You might want to ask yourself if you can draw a line that separates any two buttons on the main menu (between "forum" and "help"), or if the image on the top right (most of the banner) has anything to do with the site or its feel.

I would suggest keeping the border design, moving the menu up a bit, and removing border between 'DARKBLIZZ' and the picture to the right. Perhaps use one image across the whole banner?

Another issue I have is with the input form. Writing that in HTML will be a clunky nightmare... Dedicate a bigger box to the login prompt, and style the input forms accordingly. With this design, a slight bezel inside the fields gives a good depth illusion.

Sorry for all the criticism.. I'm a web developer by day, so my job involves turning a designers image into a website. Other than the technical issues and the "broken" header image, this is my favorite one so far :D

P.S. Are you a web designer? If so, let me know if you are looking for work. I always have clients and never have good designers.

ringlas

Thank you, I always enjoy an opinion, especially, from a professional!  
At first I was going for a whole image for the header but I then I decided to separate them for a reason that the DarkBlizz logo section is easily defined and it makes possible the picture on the right to be randomized, because I really think that a F5 refresh on a site could change the header image or implementing such a function in the future would be nice and interesting. That was the overall reason for separating them but this moreover is my personal view, I would not attempt to change it, I think it's a matter of taste.
You are absolutely right for the html login form, it's a pain in the a**! However, these little details that coders try to implement, I think, separates a dedicated to the fan's site from the ordinary ones. I can help if this is a problem, I have created such before. Though I agree absolutely with the changes that you offer.
There are pretty good ideas you offered that I like, I would try them and see if I can make it better.
I enjoyed very much your download server! I will give credits for that too!
I am currently at university and I do have some websites on my portfolio but now I have decided to rest for a while, practice my skills in PS and in SC2 of course  8) I am really looking forward to this competition I would appreciate to make any kind of contribution to this site which gave me so much pleasant hours of gaming and relaxation!

cyberwiz

CookieMonster

Ye it is nice, but somehow cant help feeling I have seen that banner somewhere before.

ringlas

The end of the contest is near and I wanted to say a few things before that.

First, thank you for all the support, special thanks to all who said pretty nice words about my header (which made me feel quite good), to all who liked it and to whoever gave me his or hers opinion.

Second, this competition rocks!  ;D I saw very good entries, very tough competitors, extremely great ideas for the looks of the site and I didn't suspected that there are so many talented people amongst hardcore SC2 (and other blizz games) gamers, part of this community. It was a great pleasure for me to see such results and it made me closer to the site and I've begun to think of me as part of it, as my everyday routine to check 'Show unread posts since last visit', to post wherever I think my opinion matters.

Finally, I want to wish good luck to all the others! I have some remains of hope about winning this key, but in the end I'd like to have made any kind of contribution to something that kept my mind jingling and will be keeping it for a long time ahead of me and I think this matters!  8)