Zerg AI that doesn't zergling rush EVERYTIME?

Started by xyu, March 27, 2010, 12:02:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

xyu

Let me first say I appreciate the work anyone has put into letting the average person get their hands on SC2.  However would it be possible to change the AI so that they don't insist on going after a zergling rush? 

While the practice is good, I don't find it to be accurate.  Most players opt for roaches. 

Anyone else feel this way?

Hadrian

Well, actually the strategy AI 0.21 usually only goes for roaches. Have never seen it go for Zerglings, sadly.
I prefer AIs to go for some early Zerglings and try for a rush, and then switch to roaches, because this pressures the player. If the AI goes for Roaches, it doesn't manage to put on the pressure, which effectivly means that as a T against a Z you don't have to block your base entrance, since there will be no rush. You don't need to go for Barracks or Marines as defense, but can focus entirely on depots and pushing the eco to the 20-22 scv zone, and THEN take all the time in the world to use your ressource advantage to build your advanced troops while starting expansion one.
It makes the game feel a little less "real" actually, because there's not the pressure of being attacks right away.

I love how with the 0.7 cheating AI, you have to be VERY fast to build up your defenses against those Zergling swarms. I actually go for barracks at the 9th scv now, and follow up with the depot on the 10th. As soon as the barrack's ready, I make sure it produces marines non stop until I have 4-8, otherwise I'd have to pull 3 or more scvs to save the depot+barracks barrier.

So my hope currently rests in the strategic AI, and that the author will add some zergling rush probes, or earlier attacks with roaches, to probe or punish the defenses. Currently, you have too much freedom in the early game there.

But well, you got no Zergling rushes, so maybe it will make you happy.  ;)