Who Snitched? Emulator Teams Poof Gone

Started by Myst, April 16, 2010, 01:06:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dan5187

Quote from: rmse17 on April 18, 2010, 12:07:00 PM
It was not the smartest thing for them to announce this project on a public website.  Whenever one works on high-profile hack like a Bnet 2 emulator, one needs to operate in total secrecy.  What did they think, that they will just start developing a product that threatens the SC2 economic model (Blizzard removed LAN play for a reason), and Blizzard will just look the other way while they are making some real progress? 

One must only release the product when it is complete, and even then, you want to leak it, not post it on a website that can be linked to you.  This is how the successful hacks have been released... 

I am sure there are other teams working on this stuff, and will release it when ready.  They may also wait till the retail release, so that Blizzard would not adapt to their method before the retail even goes gold.

I'm pretty sure there never was an emu at code-gen,  they got what they wanted (free keys).  Tired of ppl saying blah blah they pay for bandwith for that, what i say to that is bandwith is dirt cheap, and if they didn't "terminate" the project under "pressure from blizzard" then they would risk getting their keys reported by the donors.  Theres way to much coincidence. Just one big ole' scam.

Drew1231

It was not the smartest thing for them to announce this project on a public website.  Whenever one works on high-profile hack like a Bnet 2 emulator, one needs to operate in total secrecy.  What did they think, that they will just start developing a product that threatens the SC2 economic model (Blizzard removed LAN play for a reason), and Blizzard will just look the other way while they are making some real progress? 

One must only release the product when it is complete, and even then, you want to leak it, not post it on a website that can be linked to you.  This is how the successful hacks have been released... 

I am sure there are other teams working on this stuff, and will release it when ready.  They may also wait till the retail release, so that Blizzard would not adapt to their method before the retail even goes gold.

You have no experience with blizz emus obviously...

Lets do some step by step logic here so nobody can get confused:

What is Blizzards biggest cash cow, that they want to maintain un-emulated? WoW

WoW teams have been working out in the open for YEARS now emulating WoW.

So why, after years of open work by other teams, on blizzard's biggest money maker, would they have to maintain total secrecy about a emulator that will emulate something blizzard isn't making a dime off of?

No reason except they are not nearly as far as they attempt to represent.

Rain[sun]

^ And WoW server's get shutdown on a fairly progressive rate. As to why the big fish aren't being taken down, beats me, but it is far and away illegal so its only a matter of time.
SC2 Emu's on the otherhand, namely LAN cracks, can't be "taken down" once they go live, cause the purpose of LAN is you aren't online. There may one day be private servers to game on but, we'll see how blizz deals with that in the future. A pirate will always be a pirate, if you're poor enough to not buy the game and play it illegally then i really do feel sorry for you
better wear your shades, the spotlights here can burn holes through the stage

Flexserve

Quote from: Rain[sun] on April 18, 2010, 05:09:05 PM
^ And WoW server's get shutdown on a fairly progressive rate. As to why the big fish aren't being taken down, beats me, but it is far and away illegal so its only a matter of time.
SC2 Emu's on the otherhand, namely LAN cracks, can't be "taken down" once they go live, cause the purpose of LAN is you aren't online. There may one day be private servers to game on but, we'll see how blizz deals with that in the future. A pirate will always be a pirate, if you're poor enough to not buy the game and play it illegally then i really do feel sorry for you

What does -29 Karma mean? WoW servers do not suffer shutdown at the hands of Blizz, but more by the admins that run them. I find the pirating comment rather hypocritical on this forum. I mean most tools on here do what?....and how are you playing? Official or not your posting here. That's all I'm saying about that. Poor people should have entertainment and I feel sorry for them too.  O:)
Starcraft II Beta Testor. (Offline Version)

Drew1231

Quote from: Rain[sun] on April 18, 2010, 05:09:05 PM
^ And WoW server's get shutdown on a fairly progressive rate.
As to why the big fish aren't being taken down, beats me, but it is far and away illegal so its only a matter of time.
The servers aren't being shut down by blizz, that is shy the big fish still aren't down.
Quote from: Rain[sun] on April 18, 2010, 05:09:05 PMA pirate will always be a pirate, if you're poor enough to not buy the game and play it illegally then i really do feel sorry for you

I don't play wow.
And whats with the anti-pirate stance... look where you're posting :bangshead:

Rain[sun]

Not an anti-pirate stance, pirate all you want god knows I do it. But stop getting on your high-horses thinking pirating is warranted because they didn't make the game cater to your needs, cause go figure, you aren't the only one interested in the game.
Im playing it legit, and I also dl'd the crack before i got a key. I played it a week earlier, I dont find that hypocritical in the slightest. I dont have a problem with piracy, but there are differences between stealing and borrowing/playing earlier.

A good example is music, I wouldn't go to a concert without hearing the music and im not paying 20$ for a cd with only 2 songs i like. They still make money off me though. Same goes for Blizz. If you end up buying SC2, you weren't who my comment is directed to. If you feel you don't need to pay to enjoy, I hope your career leads you nowhere, and I really don't think any sane, functioning person would disagree.

-30 karma comes from the whiny kids on here who get offended when I laugh at them/make fun of them, but really, its just so easy!
better wear your shades, the spotlights here can burn holes through the stage

Eskimo

Change of heart. I say stuff the B.net Emu! by the time this is all finished, SC2 will be released. And in my opinion, who ever is a true fan of SC2 would rest their Hundred dollar bill on the legit SC2 copy.  :ticked:

jyim89

-30 karma means hes a scammer! don't listen to him!!

Flexserve

Quote from: Eskimo on April 19, 2010, 07:23:56 AM
Change of heart. I say stuff the B.net Emu! by the time this is all finished, SC2 will be released. And in my opinion, who ever is a true fan of SC2 would rest their Hundred dollar bill on the legit SC2 copy.  :ticked:
Already reserved mine, but the $65.00 package not the $100 collectors set complete with sweaty underwear worn by the developers for 6 years.

The topic is about running a private game server, not pirating the game. You see Battlenet 2.0 has plans for a monthly membership fee as the rumor goes. Also many people like having their own server for LAN games and small communities where the ladders aren't so tough.  :thumbsup:
Starcraft II Beta Testor. (Offline Version)

dan5187

Quote from: Flexserve on April 19, 2010, 08:53:54 PM
Quote from: Eskimo on April 19, 2010, 07:23:56 AM
Already reserved mine, but the $65.00 package not the $100 collectors set complete with sweaty underwear worn by the developers for 6 years.

The topic is about running a private game server, not pirating the game. You see Battlenet 2.0 has plans for a monthly membership fee as the rumor goes. Also many people like having their own server for LAN games and small communities where the ladders aren't so tough.  :thumbsup:

Blizzard has said over and over and over they will never charge to access and play on battle.net, BUT there is possibility of them charging for "premium features".

rmse17

Quote from: Drew1231 on April 18, 2010, 01:46:28 PM

You have no experience with blizz emus obviously...

Lets do some step by step logic here so nobody can get confused:

What is Blizzards biggest cash cow, that they want to maintain un-emulated? WoW

WoW teams have been working out in the open for YEARS now emulating WoW.

So why, after years of open work by other teams, on blizzard's biggest money maker, would they have to maintain total secrecy about a emulator that will emulate something blizzard isn't making a dime off of?

No reason except they are not nearly as far as they attempt to represent.

True, I have do not know anything about WoW related stuff.  I do remember FSGS getting something in the area of a Cease and Desist notice back around 10 years ago...  And then the WC3 TC for SCBW also getting shut down by Blizzard. 
In any case, one can never be too careful when working on this kind of stuff, even if WoW has pirate servers that are not being taken down by Blizzard.  From what I see on the internet, the general trend is..  you go public with something illegal, and it gets popular enough, you are going to get shut down. 

Eskimo

its 99.95 in Aus. Im not sure how much it is if u pre order?

xavis

i agree with rsme17 if you put this progresses etc. onto public's eye it will eventually reach blizzard's ears the louder you are the more people you will draw attention to simple as that

friendlybus

Quote from: Eskimo on April 20, 2010, 09:48:38 AM

its 99.95 in Aus. Im not sure how much it is if u pre order?

140/150 for the collectors. your deposit aka 10 bucks off for preorder.

Eskimo

is the collectors even worth buying? looks like just another product trying to get the most out of customers. Id have to be a crazy fan of SC2 to get me to spend an extra $50.