Main Menu

How we Review programs

Started by Myst, December 30, 2007, 11:24:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Myst

DarkBlizz rates programs based on the following:

*  Features and Performance (compared to other current programs)
   * Appearance and usability
   * Ease of Use and Documentation
   * Uniqueness and Innovation
   * Personal opinion

We look at what features the program has to offer, and how those features are incorporated into the program itself.  We take into considerations of other programs out there similar to that we are reviewing and see if the features are different or are the features only matching the norm that is already out there.  
We then look at how will it performs.  Does it give me the product that I need?  Are the massive amounts of features undermining the programs potential?  Those sorts of things we think about.  
Appearance is basically how the user interface is.  Does the program have a decent GUI?  or is it the same standard ones that is generally considered the normal look?  
We rate usability on the ease of use the program is to a user based on the GUI of it.  Is the GUI so complicated that it takes away from the usability?
Ease of Use is pretty much how well someone can maneuver through the program, setting everything up, and if needed finding the proper help when need be.  Which ties into the documentation.  Does the program have a good set of directions or a "ReadMe" that is actually informative.  Or does the program have worthwhile tool tips at critical points of the program to explain things; due to the different levels of knowledge users have.
Then there's uniqueness and innovation.  Is there something that we saw that made us think, "Hey, this guys trying something new."
Were there any new features never seen before, that could set up the standard for future programs in that category?
Finally there is personal opinion.  What the reviewer, him or herself actually thought of the whole package.

We basically liked the way SnapFiles.com reviewed software so we used a lot of their criteria when reviewing the programs.

Here is a quote from their site that we really agree with and that you should understand:

Quote from: SnapFiles.com"However not everybody is looking for the same features and functionality... our 3 star rating may very well become your personal 5 star product since it is "just what you needed" and the price is right."

iCe

How do I go about having someone reviewing Binary Flux?

Myst

We have nobody on the Review Team as of yet, only me :P   I might write a review, depends how Binary Flux does once released out of beta