Main Menu

MightySeed

Started by Myst, February 03, 2010, 02:56:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Myst

MightySeed
Take advantage of the cheap prices and awesome services of MightySeed, a service which provides you with a Windows server you can remote connect to.  Compared to other companies, you can have unlimited torrents running to download all your games/apps or whatever you'd like on fast connections.  Also you can run all your bots and what not on the server.  Check them out for more details.

Also they have a $10 SPECIAL for just using the server to host your bots on!!!!

moona

How does their pricing on plans work? Is that cost per month or year. Or is it until you use up all your bandwidth?

Myst

ReVoke

Looks good other then the fact its using windows server 2008, Windows server 2008 is vista with a cupple of server management tools, thats got to fuck up the performance.
TXlzdCBpcyBteSBiaXRjaA==

^^ Base64, Decode it =) ^^

Fapiko

Actually, it's loosely based on Windows 7 with much more than a "cupple of server management tools" different from a desktop operating system.

I would like to say that we are offering a $10 a month package with reduced bandwidth/hard drive space for battle.net users to host bots. Get a hold of me with one of the methods on our Contact page for more information.
Get a Windows shell with your own dedicated IP address for hosting battle.net bots starting at $10 a month! Check our http://www.mightyseed.com for more details.

brew

Quote from: Fapiko on February 04, 2010, 11:20:19 PM
Actually, it's loosely based on Windows 7 with much more than a "cupple of server management tools" different from a desktop operating system.
Both you and your website specified Windows Server 2008. This is indeed based on Vista, in the sense that it shares the same exact kernel and other core binaries. Windows Server 2008 R2, however, uses Windows 7 as its base.
By what you say, you make Windows Server editions seem oh-so-much-more robust than their desktop counterparts - can you justify this?

Fapiko

Quote from: brew on February 05, 2010, 06:43:22 PM
Quote from: Fapiko on February 04, 2010, 11:20:19 PM
Both you and your website specified Windows Server 2008. This is indeed based on Vista, in the sense that it shares the same exact kernel and other core binaries. Windows Server 2008 R2, however, uses Windows 7 as its base.
By what you say, you make Windows Server editions seem oh-so-much-more robust than their desktop counterparts - can you justify this?

It is 2008 R2.  We don't find it necessary to specify on the website because to your average seedbox user doesn't care, and we are marketing mainly to seedbox users.

You make Windows 7 sound like it's not robust.  Can you justify this?  I leave my Windows 7 desktop running for 30+ days at a time, usually with 20 or more applications open.  Seems pretty robust to me.
Get a Windows shell with your own dedicated IP address for hosting battle.net bots starting at $10 a month! Check our http://www.mightyseed.com for more details.

ReVoke

I've tryed windows 7 twice and both times they have ended up biting me back in my ass, alot of problems this early in it's stage for win7 so im just going to hold back for a while on it.

And as for the 2008 server edition, it seems like a waste to be trying a win vista-win7 ish OS on it when everything would work fine on the 2003 edition and have oh so much more resources left...
TXlzdCBpcyBteSBiaXRjaA==

^^ Base64, Decode it =) ^^

brew

Quote from: Fapiko on February 05, 2010, 08:51:34 PM
You make Windows 7 sound like it's not robust.  Can you justify this?  I leave my Windows 7 desktop running for 30+ days at a time, usually with 20 or more applications open.  Seems pretty robust to me.
Well.... here we go again, I guess.

'30+ days at a time with 20 or more applications open' (which really isn't too amazing in today's de facto standard protected mode computing environment) has hardly anything to do with robustness. I think you believe the definition of 'robust' is almost exactly that of 'stability'; this is not so:
Quote from: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robust
Robustness is the quality of being able to withstand stresses, pressures, or changes in procedure or circumstance. A system, organism or design may be said to be "robust" if it is capable of coping well with variations (sometimes unpredictable variations) in its operating environment with minimal damage, alteration or loss of functionality.
With that in mind, I'll list some reasons off the top of my head. Also, do remember I'm listing things specific to Windows Server (not 7).

Portability
Windows:
x86/x64, ia64

Everything else:
All popular modern architectures (x86, ia64, mips, arm, sparc, alpha, pc98...)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

File systems

Windows Server 2008 R2:
FAT12/16/32
exFAT
NTFS

Pretty much other operating system out there that isn't in the Windows family:
FAT12/16/32
NTFS
ext2/3/4
UFS
HFS+
ReiserFS
btrfs
XFS
JFS
ZFS

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Updates and patches

New for Windows Server 2008:
Improved hot patching, a feature that allows non-kernel patches to occur without the need for a reboot.

Technology the rest of the world had for a while:
Typically don't need to reboot for changes to take effect unless the kernel had been patched/recompiled

Backups

Windows Server 2008:
NT Backup is replaced by Windows Server Backup, and no longer supports backing up to tape drives
-- Wait, what? Are tape drives really that old? I could've sworn I saw an ad for them in last month's issue of PC World... um...

Unix-like OSes:
dump/restore
tar
cpio
pax

Dynamic Hardware Partitioning
Windows:
New for 2008

Others:
I can't say with any level of certainty that everything else supports this, but I know Solaris does, and I have seen FreeBSD gulp up the addition of another ram module with no problem on a Dell PowerEdge.

Misc.

Andrew Mason, a program manager on the Windows Server team, noted that a primary motivation for producing a Server Core variant of Windows Server 2008 was to reduce the attack surface of the operating system, and that about 70% of the security vulnerabilities in Microsoft Windows from the prior five years would not have affected Server Core.

Oh wait...

Fapiko

Brew, this is hardly the place to be engaging in your anti-Windows campaign. If you really want to run a server on mips architecture, fantastic. Windows isn't for you. Don't try to force your open source ideologies everywhere you go, it gets old quick and if I recall correctly it's the reason you got k-lined from an IRC network. You're just trying to troll again as you do everywhere you go, and I'm not going to entertain it any further.

Quote from: ReVoke on February 05, 2010, 09:35:55 PM
I've tryed windows 7 twice and both times they have ended up biting me back in my ass, alot of problems this early in it's stage for win7 so im just going to hold back for a while on it.

And as for the 2008 server edition, it seems like a waste to be trying a win vista-win7 ish OS on it when everything would work fine on the 2003 edition and have oh so much more resources left...

We have eight processor cores and 12 gigs of RAM for a server that's dedicated to seedboxes and now battle.net bot hosting.  I think we will have plenty of resources left over once the OS has used its share.

We went with Windows Server 2008 R2 for the new features it provides such as RemoteApp.  This allows our seedbox users to run their applications virtualized on their desktop as if it were installed locally.  For instance, a user can install the RemoteApp version of uTorrent on their home PC which allows them to open a .torrent file that starts downloading directly to the server seamlessly without first opening Remote Desktop and logging into the server.

If you are at all interested in our services and not simply just posting to rag on our choice of Operating System, I would like to invite you to try out an account to see how well your torrenting applications or battle.net bots run. I'd be willing to bet there are plenty of free resources available for them.

brew

Way to totally miss why I was singling out Windows...
You asked me to justify my reasoning that Windows is not robust - there we go.

Whereas you answered my question with another question, I gave you a bunch of really solid answers. I don't think this should be called an "anti-Windows campaign", but rather "proper rhetoric". You proved unable to articulate your reasoning, therefore you lose.
Good day sir.