A.I. V5.0

Started by ImWaitingforStarcraft3, February 28, 2010, 10:59:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SanctifiedDevil

A few things the AI could use:
-Upgrades (They don't seem to ever upgrade anything, making it not a challenge towards end game)
-They need to keep pushing through (A few times I would of been killed by an armada of battle cruisers but they kept bouncing back and forth.)

If you add those two things I think the AI would be pretty good.

My last game was 1/1/1/1 and all I know is that the terran eliminated everyone else and came after me. Would of lost if they just kept pushing through. I had one carrier left when they retreated and they had nearly 10 battle cruisers. Not upgraded of course. I finally amassed an army and chased them back to their base. They kept running and building expansions all over the map at the end. It was hard to finally end the game because of this, it was for sure a challenge.

Overall, its fun as hell.

ImWaitingforStarcraft3

01-03-2010
Team StarCrack AI V 5.1 (No AI Cheating):  http://www.mediafire.com/?5n5vzaon2ay

Psycho

Quote from: ImWaitingforStarcraft3 on March 01, 2010, 02:43:07 PM
01-03-2010
Team StarCrack AI V 5.1 (No AI Cheating):  http://www.mediafire.com/?5n5vzaon2ay

Can anyone upload it somewhere else? Mediafire seem to have some problems :P

Happy-I-am

Quote from: Psycho on March 01, 2010, 02:54:03 PM
Quote from: ImWaitingforStarcraft3 on March 01, 2010, 02:43:07 PM
01-03-2010

Can anyone upload it somewhere else? Mediafire seem to have some problems :P
I just had to reopen the link to get it to work.

gardenofaiur

[Garden Of Aiur] - http://www.gardenofaiur.com - The Blood Of The Fallen

Gamewiz

ElvishSolution

Testing 5.1 now will reply within the hour with a detailed report on what I find.

-Elvish
Practice might make perfect, but some are good without it.

koolitseric

Quote from: ElvishSolution on March 01, 2010, 04:02:47 PM
Testing 5.1 now will reply within the hour with a detailed report on what I find.

-Elvish
kk Hope they upgrade at least.

Rhett

I haven't been able to beat them yet, myself. Even if I turtle, my defenses and any forces I'm building up, if they cut it, only hold them off for so long. I also noticed, that instead of permanently hovering outside your base going back and forth, they're just waiting for a few more units to arrive so they can attack. Haven't had the chance to see them expand more than once, but when they attack...

Nonetheless, this is still good fun, and practice. (I never was one for SC melee against people/computers).

ElvishSolution

Alright just got done a TvT, and the comp beat me!!! - Actually this is quite an easy feat since I was terrible with Terran in BW, however, the computer definitely showed marked improvement.  Going to spam restart until I get my best race (Protoss) then I'll see what the challenge level is really at.  Report below.

Match: T v T
Duration: Approx. 18 minutes
Analysis: 5 PM Eastern, March 1st, 2010
Result: AI Win

Good:
-Scouted base within first minute
-Attacked with marines, tanks, and marauders at 10 minutes
-Expanded at 12-15 minutes
-Teched and began to pump battlecruisers
-When I made vikings to counter the cruisers, it also made vikings
-AI also kept attacking which was good, and greatly improved over previous versions does not dance on the edge of the fog of war
-Tank harrasement

Bad:
-While the AI did continually attack it really didn't seem to keep up the pressure, or encourage a fast paced 1 on 1 game
-The AI still waits to have a massively superior army to attack, it waited for 8 battlecruisers before using them, instead of adding units into the army as they are produced
-Other than a one-minute in SCV scout the AI had a non-existent late game, a rush would have defeated it easily

On Micro:
RAVENS - The computer is terrified of Ravens and thier point defense drones and turrets, every time I dropped them down it would run away, even when it had Battlecruisers
Having the AI focus fire the turrets should be implemented.

Tanks - AI sets up tanks to siege buildings well, but does not siege them when in battles, also it tended to dance the tanks at the front lines, taking heavy damage

Battlecruisers - The AI does not focus fire with its cruisers, but simply auto-attacks, also did not move any of them back when focused with 8+ Vikings

Infantry - The AI continually uses infantry as fodder, does not focus fire, or make medievacs - There was no attempts to remove its marines and marauders from combat even though I had 6 siege
tanks pounding on em.

Comments:
For the most part it seems you guys have got the build orders down now, the computer used most of its minerals, and most importantly was not idle at all during the game.
Currently I did not really see any direct counters, the AI essentially stuck with a set strategy and forced me to counter what it was making - which is good, but doesn't
necesarily emulate human play.  Keep up the good work devs! Zerg, and Protoss Analyses soon.

-Elvish

powa

Just tested 5.1. I won without any problem at all but it feels better now, ai rushes and expands quite good (though a terran made 2 command centers in one exe) and also uses tank in siege mode quite good (it placed tanks inside its base behind buildings and was hard to get em with roaches and zerlings, even burrowed because he used radar hability).

The early scout is too early, when I'm doing the 1st supply/overlord/pylon I see their worker scouting, which makes no sense, it should come a bit later, once it can see if I'm doing barracks, fast tech, making defenses etc.

Worst are Protoss, they're really bad. It's always the easiest race to beat maybe because it doesn't use observer's static shield, blink on stalkers, speed on zeas, or do anything different than mass zeas with few stalkers and few templars, wich did not use any skill against me. I dunno also if protoss is using their speed aceleration fom the nexus, but it should.

ElvishSolution

I hear that on the protoss AI, Zerg and Terran are much further along.  I will have all my reports up by tomorrow.

ElvishSolution

Match: P v Z (Zerg AI)
Map: Desert Oasis (1v1)
Duration: 31 minutes, 38 seconds
Analysis 6:56 PM Eastern, March 1st, 2010
Result: Player Win

For the remainder of my reports I'm not going to be using a Good / Bad measurement, but rather simply state what the AI did, and comment on it

Report:

-Scouted at 1 minute 40 seconds to check build

-Scouted at 3 minutes for pre-rush

-At 6 minutes I had my 20 odd zealot rush ready, a couple of canonns up, tech ready for stalkers and immortals, and preparing my natural exapansion
   -I head to his base to attack and am met with solid resistance, 25-30 zerglings, and about 10 roaches

-Upon retreating to my higher ground at my base I was able to hold off the attack.

-At 12 minutes the AI returned with more zerglings and roaches, along with infestors and hydralisk in support
   -At this point my forces consist purely of Stalkers, Immortals, and Void Rays

-Stargates and higher end tech started at 16 minutes, met with Mutalisks, more many infestors, hydralisks, roaches, banelings

-The next 15 minutes of the game involve a back and forth battle in which I, low on vespene gas, continually hold off various Zerg pushes

-At 25 minutes came an end-game push for the AI, I had at this point, 8 immortals, 12 zealots, 6 carriers, Mothership, 3 Collosi, 10 Phoenix, 6 Stalkers, 4 Archons, 4 Dark Templar, 3 Void Rays
   -AI Army, 20 Mutalisk, a good couple dozen hydralisk, 10-12 roaches left over from mid game, 8-10 Ultralisks, Banelings, Infestors, and Overseers

-After a short battle I had cleaned up the remainder of the AIs forces, and then proceded for the remainder of the game to hunt down and kill numerous AI expansions

-I met with a small contingent of Hydralisks and Muties at his island expansion

Micro Specific:

Unit positioning for the zerg was much better than the Terran or the Protoss AIs I faced, but certaintly not spot-on.  When attacking my base it smartly used Mutalisk in order to take out my cannons, prior to bringing its remaining troops, however, it continued to do so even once I had a group of Phoenix tearing them up.

It always put its Ultralisks on buildings, and never once tried to take out my back line of Immortals (which Ultralisks dominate).

Banelings are morphed by the AI during combat, not prior to the battle. 

It did not use transports for in battle micro, nor did it use Nydus worms to send weakend troops back to the creep to burrow and regenerate.

Early game the AI allowed me to block 20 Zerglings in a nook in the wall, with only 6 Zealots, and my cannons made short work of the Zerglings.  However, it also surrounded my early game scout compliment of 3 zealots with its Zerglings, so it wasn't all bad.

The AI still has problems retreating and numerous times I picked off a half dozen Hydralisk upon its retreat.

Unlike the Protoss and Terran AI, the Zerg did not hesitate to attack at least, and made sure to bring its full force, or nothing at all.

Comments:

Zerg is far and away the best AI, while I was never troubled to defend its attacks, it certainly did a good job of keeping pressure on me and keeping my troops to low numbers.

Fast expansion was used by the AI, and it expanded once more for high-yield minerals, late in the game it put up 2 other expansions mostly to keep the match going.

Generally I was impressed with the performance the AI put out, however it did not really counter what I had, once the mothership carriers and collosus came out, rather than switch to corrupters and mutalisk, the AI continued to pump Ultralisks and Hydras, which would get mowed down in short order by the Collosus.

Where to go next?

I think the next course of action should be primarily to bring the Terran and Protoss AI's up to par with the Zerg AI, that way the playing field can at least be leveled so to speak, in that each AI will have comprable perforamnce.

Rushes - None of the AI's use the, while they are all capable of prodcuing a 6-9 minute early game push, none of them have a pre 5 minute rush, or assault of any kind.  Perhaps a script can be implemented where a certain percentage of the time, the AI will have a later first push attempt, and have an early rush instead.

Nydus Worms, Phase Prisms, Ravens - Never saw any from the AIs, would be a nice feature for a future version.

Considering the performance of the Protoss, I believe I'll wait until v6 to do a proper report on them (If a dev wants specific tips about making Protoss AI better PM me)

-Elvish