Helpp Sc 2 vs AI

Started by Heymusky, March 01, 2010, 01:34:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gamewiz

Quote from: Happy-I-am on March 01, 2010, 02:55:13 PM
you can get a 5750 for $199-$250 here whereas you can get the  5770 for $260-$294

these are NZD prices and from price spy

Ouch. If you have a Fry's Electronics, go there. ;) They were alot cheaper. :)

Happy-I-am

Quote from: Gamewiz on March 01, 2010, 02:57:23 PM
you can get a 5750 for $199-$250 here whereas you can get the  5770 for $260-$294

I don't think we have them in New Zealand. Plus when you do the exchange rate the prices would be pretty much the same.

Gamewiz

Quote from: Happy-I-am on March 01, 2010, 03:02:54 PM
Quote from: Gamewiz on March 01, 2010, 02:57:23 PM

I don't think we have them in New Zealand. Plus when you do the exchange rate the prices would be pretty much the same.

Ah, very true. :)

Heymusky

Quote from: Gamewiz on March 01, 2010, 02:16:21 PM
Quote from: Heymusky on March 01, 2010, 02:06:48 PM
Its a laptop, would that change anything??

Damn this site... Typed in a huge post and it freakin crapped on me when trying to post it.

To make it short, try updating your drivers, but that still doesn't sound like the problem. If your comp is shutting down again after an immediate restart, that has no relation to SC2. That's a hardware problem, not software. Check your BIOS immediately after a shutdown (if it does it again), and check your temps (most BIOS allow you to do that now). Then check what temp your BIOS has it set to auto-shutdown on.

Edit: Also, since it's a laptop, just make sure you have proper ventilation. Don't rest in on soft surfaces (ie, your bed, a pillow, etc.). Make sure there is air-flow.
Well i went into my BIOS and looked around, and as i was doing that it does the same thing again and shuts down. I cant find a place that shows you the overheat temp or anything.

Gamewiz

Quote from: Heymusky on March 01, 2010, 03:16:32 PM
Well i went into my BIOS and looked around, and as i was doing that it does the same thing again and shuts down. I cant find a place that shows you the overheat temp or anything.

Ok if it's crashing in BIOS even then it's definitely a hardware problem totally unrelated to SC2. Unfortunately I'm not really sure what to tell you. Let your computer sit and cool for about 15 minutes, then try downloading the programs cyric posted, and keep a close eye on them. Run SC2 in a windowed mode so you can watch your temperatures. If you are overheating, then close your comp down, let it rest for 15 min. Turn on another game and see if it does the same thing (preferably a game that pushes your comp). If it does, then you might have some internal fans/cooling systems failing.

The only thing I could say after that is get it professional repaired. Sorry I can't help you further with that, as I don't work on laptops, only desktops, so I wouldn't know how to fix it and what you could fix from home on a laptop.

cyricc

Quote from: Heymusky on March 01, 2010, 03:16:32 PM
Quote from: Gamewiz on March 01, 2010, 02:16:21 PM
Quote from: Heymusky on March 01, 2010, 02:06:48 PM
Its a laptop, would that change anything??

Damn this site... Typed in a huge post and it freakin crapped on me when trying to post it.

To make it short, try updating your drivers, but that still doesn't sound like the problem. If your comp is shutting down again after an immediate restart, that has no relation to SC2. That's a hardware problem, not software. Check your BIOS immediately after a shutdown (if it does it again), and check your temps (most BIOS allow you to do that now). Then check what temp your BIOS has it set to auto-shutdown on.

Edit: Also, since it's a laptop, just make sure you have proper ventilation. Don't rest in on soft surfaces (ie, your bed, a pillow, etc.). Make sure there is air-flow.

Sometimes when you overheat the comp it will save a record of this in the CMOS and disable startup, you might need to take out the battery from the mobo, wait 15 secs, put it back in and setup the date/time, this might help you start up into your OS again.

Gr!mm

To be honest, i had a similar problem too, my game every minute or so would start going really jittery, checked my graphics card temperature and it was at 87°C, this is a pretty intensive game. I bought a new fan and that sorted the problem, extra cooling, plus my computer tower door was off which is never good.

gg.sc2

AI causes the problem but non AI doesn't. So you're saying you can run SC2 with no AI perfectly fine? How could a change like that impact a system with those specs? Smells like software issues to me, unless you got a defective hardware part that reacts specifically to more processing usage. I'm sure having AI causes the system to use a little more processing power CPU and GPU wise.

And now you're saying there are also issues outside of SC2?

I say ditch the laptop and get a desktop.  ;) J/k. That doesn't help at all.

If you just started encountering the problems since post-install of SC2BETA, I'd say you did something to damage the hardware (is sc2 that taxing on your system to cause hardware failure?), or software files got modified somehow. Just to diagnose, I'd suggest a backup and restore process of some sort to see if the problems still persist.