Helpp Sc 2 vs AI

Started by Heymusky, March 01, 2010, 01:34:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Heymusky

So i get my beta working, with the lazytown crack and such...
i launch up an AI map,
it says be prepared for great damage or something.
So it all runs well.
But when i play for about one min or so, right before i start my first pylon, my whole comp freezes and i cant doing anything unless i pull the plug.

Anyone else get this??

cyricc

Looks like your computer is having trouble running the game, try lowing some of the graphics settings.

Heymusky

I tried it this time with all the graphics lowered, and it worked fine, but after like 5 mins my comp freezes then i gotta pull the plug.
And when i turn my comp back on it starts, then shuts down after two seconds, it does this multiple times until i wait at least 20 secs to start my comp, then it works fine. Do i have a driver problem??

itsarabbit

seems like it's overheating, get a better cooling system or better comp overall.
Want Beta key! :D

Gamewiz

Quote from: Heymusky on March 01, 2010, 01:55:04 PM
I tried it this time with all the graphics lowered, and it worked fine, but after like 5 mins my comp freezes then i gotta pull the plug.
And when i turn my comp back on it starts, then shuts down after two seconds, it does this multiple times until i wait at least 20 secs to start my comp, then it works fine. Do i have a driver problem??

That's not a driver problem, especially if it freezes like that if you immediately reboot. Sounds like your computer is overheating. Grab some dust-off (compressed air), and make sure all your fans are clean and free of debris. I don't know your specs, but if that doesn't work, your comp just might be too old and can't handle SC2. Do you meet the minimum requirements that Blizzard posted on their site for the beta?

Heymusky

It runs fine on the non ai one, heres my specs, highlight with your curser :P i grabbed it off the bnet thing.
My System Specifications:[/color][/color][/color][/size]
[/color][/color][/size]
    • OPERATING SYSTEM:WINDOWS 2.6.0.6001 (SP 1)[/color][/color][/size][/l][/l]
    • [/color][/color][/size]
      CPU TYPE:
      AMD TURION(TM) X2 ULTRA DUAL-CORE MOBILE ZM-82
      CPU SPEED (GHZ):
      SYSTEM MEMORY (GB):
      GRAPHICS CARD MODEL:
      ATI MOBILITY RADEON HD 4650 SERIES
      GRAPHICS CARD DRIVER:
      ATIUMDAG.DLL
      DESKTOP RESOLUTION:
      1366X768
      HARD DISK SIZE (GB):
      HARD DISK FREE SPACE (GB):
    [/list]

Gamewiz

Hmm... that's suprising. You don't have bad specs at all. That comp should handle max settings for SC2 no problem (because that's similar to what I have, and I run SC2 on Ultra with no drop in framerate). But you are definitely overheating for some reason. Try what I said (make sure you dust out your ENTIRE computer), and see if that helps at all. Sometimes the easiest fix is the most effective. :)

Heymusky

Its a laptop, would that change anything??

Gamewiz

Quote from: Heymusky on March 01, 2010, 02:06:48 PM
    Its a laptop, would that change anything??

Damn this site... Typed in a huge post and it freakin crapped on me when trying to post it.

To make it short, try updating your drivers, but that still doesn't sound like the problem. If your comp is shutting down again after an immediate restart, that has no relation to SC2. That's a hardware problem, not software. Check your BIOS immediately after a shutdown (if it does it again), and check your temps (most BIOS allow you to do that now). Then check what temp your BIOS has it set to auto-shutdown on.

Edit: Also, since it's a laptop, just make sure you have proper ventilation. Don't rest in on soft surfaces (ie, your bed, a pillow, etc.). Make sure there is air-flow.

cyricc

Sounds like the guys talking about overheating are more than likely correct. Download Cpu-z, gpu-z and Piriform Speccy to monitor your cpu and gpu temp.

Maybe I'm a little out of the loop though on the specs because I think I have a decent comp but I need to put almost all settings on low to get 30-40 fps.

My specs are:

AMD Athlon 2.6ghz x4 propus (Over clocked to 2.8ghz)
    2Gb x2 800mzh DDR2 (Over clocked to 4-4-4-10)
    BFG GeForce 210 512 DDR2 (Over clocked to 594 mhz core and 405 mzh mem)
    ____
    Any reason why my fps is so low?

Gamewiz

Quote from: cyricc on March 01, 2010, 02:37:08 PM
    Sounds like the guys talking about overheating are more than likely correct. Download Cpu-z, gpu-z and Piriform Speccy to monitor your cpu and gpu temp.

Maybe I'm a little out of the loop though on the specs because I think I have a decent comp but I need to put almost all settings on low to get 30-40 fps.

My specs are:

____

Hmm... not really sure. Your processor is a quad-core, correct? That's really odd your comp is pushing that hard.

I only have a Intel Dual-Core 2.6GHz, 3GB ram, and a ATI Radeon HD 5750. I guess my graphics card is my saving grace where I can run everything on max... Maybe it's your card. Other than that I really have no idea why your system is running so hard.

And I don't overclock at all...

Happy-I-am

it's the graphics card, I am pretty sure 210 is a low end budget card. you can buy them for around $80 here. http://pricespy.co.nz/product.php?p=505085

cyricc

Quote from: Gamewiz on March 01, 2010, 02:41:16 PM
    Quote from: cyricc on March 01, 2010, 02:37:08 PM

My specs are:

____

Hmm... not really sure. Your processor is a quad-core, correct? That's really odd your comp is pushing that hard.

I only have a Intel Dual-Core 2.6GHz, 3GB ram, and a ATI Radeon HD 5750. I guess my graphics card is my saving grace where I can run everything on max... Maybe it's your card. Other than that I really have no idea why your system is running so hard.

And I don't overclock at all...

Yeah you are right, its a cheepy $60 one that isn't any good. I actually downgraged from the power of a ATI x1600 pro just so I could have directx10.1  ::) . I guess I need to invest in a better card cuz 5750 is saving your a$$ big time!

Gamewiz

Quote from: cyricc on March 01, 2010, 02:49:18 PM
    Yeah you are right, its a cheepy $60 one that isn't any good. I actually downgraged from the power of a ATI x1600 pro just so I could have directx10.1  ::) . I guess I need to invest in a better card cuz 5750 is saving your a$$ big time!

Ya it is. :) I remember my last card (before I upgraded to this one) was an ATI Radeon HD 2600.

I remember I couldn't even run most games I had with AA or shadows on, otherwise my framerate would drop to where it wasn't even playable. The second I upgraded to this card (none of my other specs changed), I can now run every game on max (most recent game being Dragon Age) without any drop in framerate.

I think I got my card for not that much, like $175 at Fry's Electronics. Since the newer powerhouses are out now (like the 5800), my card dropped drastically in price.

Happy-I-am

you can get a 5750 for $199-$250 here whereas you can get the  5770 for $260-$294

these are NZD prices and from price spy