Anyone elses SC2 freezing randomly, for about 7 seconds?

Started by Normalcy, March 21, 2010, 02:32:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Normalcy

Mine does this alot, usually at least 5 times a match. Needless to say, very annoying. The game runs perfectly fine at 50 FPS on custom (mostly medium and high)

My processor is a single core, but seriously it runs FINE in between the freezing. Video card is 9800GTX, 4 gigs dd2 ram, etc.

Mikael

Quote from: Normalcy on March 21, 2010, 02:32:05 PM
Mine does this alot, usually at least 5 times a match. Needless to say, very annoying. The game runs perfectly fine at 50 FPS on custom (mostly medium and high)

My processor is a single core, but seriously it runs FINE in between the freezing. Video card is 9800GTX, 4 gigs dd2 ram, etc.

Try with lowered textures, and report back your results.

Normalcy

I have tried it with every setting, it still does it. Low high, medium, custom, only thing that changes is the look.

Manichean

The same thing was happening on my wifes pc until I upgraded her Nbidia graphic drivers then now its much better. What Nvidia drivers you running ? maybe I can give u more advice then

Manichean

man..... I updated to the 196.21 drivers on my wifes pc and it worked fine. Does the freezing only happen in SC2 or does it happen in other games 2 ?

What im starting to think is that either 1.) the grpahics card is dieing, 2.) Your pc or graphics card is overheating. But these are both answered by the first question. If ur pc is not freezing in other games for a few seconds then it must be 1.) a beta issue 2.) some corruption on ur starctaft install. Reinstall starcraft 3,) ram or driver issue

Last suggestion if none of the above works is to try and run the game with 2gigs ram (i.e. take out a ram module and then try the game, if it freezes swap to the other ram module still running 2 gigs) if it still freezes and u followed the above steps. then make 100% sure u have done all ur pc updates and starcraft patches and give us more feedback.

charcoales

Mine freezes too for a few seconds at random intervals during games. I think it has to do with the CPU. I use a single core AMD 3800. I recommend upgrading the processor if at all possible.

Normalcy

It should not make a difference. I play games like DA:O, 60 FPS consistently. Crysis on high, 40 FPS. Processor is fine, new games just are not putting any efforts in to support single cores anymore.

RaTcHeT302

Quote from: Normalcy on March 21, 2010, 02:32:05 PM

You can install some beta drivers (the game will it only look colorful, you might gain a lot of FPS!)
Or disable HID dispositives.

I will it post right now something about that!

empanah

same here like 5 or 6 times in a game...

i have an i7 920 2.67GHz
2,00 GB ram DDR3 1600
nvidia gts 250...last drivers
so i asumed that was game problem

flimflam

I too am also having this problem. its very annoying. I really hope they address this before it comes out. It has to be a game problem. I have a single core and an 8800 gt and can run the game fine but every once in awhile i get random freezes where i can move the mouse but the action is frozen. I know its a game problem because i can run every other game and application flawlessly. Please does anyone know a solution for this it is driving me crazy!

Roger911

SC2 is known to currently have compatibility issues with single core processors.

On a side note though... I have a quad core processor, and had it clocked from its original (1.8 or 2.1 or something), to a 2.4 ghz clock. This caused all my games to crash between 10-60 seconds in, and the problem ceased when I reverted to factory settings.

flimflam

its so frustrating having a single core. I know i need to update, but, its not like they are obsolete. I really hope this gets patched. Heres hoping it does. On a side note I left my computer on last night and now when I start the beta i get massive fps lag and then crash. Sometimes on the loading screen. Ive tried reinstalling but get the same result. Im going to search the forums now I really want to play

Stewox

It's not the processor , it's low memory problem , how much memory u have ?

I had 2 GB last month , SC2 lagged and like it had stops for 5 seconds at times , now i upgraded with another dominators , and have 4 GB , have win x64 and I disabled page file ,  SC2 loads fast , no lag at all nor temporary freezes.

I have quite high end PC , quad q9300  , gigabyte ga-p35-ds4 , enermax 620W liberty dxx , WD 500GB ,  HD 4870
And I had similar problems for 1 and a half years because i had only 2 GB ram.

Anyways , it's not your processor. And it's not SC2 compatability , it's a beta , but anyways , what a lot of people mistake , SC2 is a big game , it's just so hungry but you can still make good fps. 

Lowering the graphics won't help much , since your GPU is good enough , has enough video ram , but it's the virtual memory that's making this pain in the ass, HDD is too slow obviously.

EDIT: Oh you have 4 GB

What operating system u have ?

Then just disable page file , win7=
- Right click on my computer and select properties , or go to control panel and click system
- click advanced system settings in top left side of the window , last button.
-select advanced tab in the new window if it's not already selected
-click setting in performance
-select advanced tab in new window
-click "change" button below in "virtual memory"
-select a drive in new window , then click the "no paging file" radio button , then click "Set"
-do  that for all drives , no paging file , 0
-apply ok , restart pc.
-no more freezes, and the overall PC boost will be huge.

in xp u have the same process but u skip second step.

If you did it correctly you will notice the change immediately after restart.

flimflam

thanks for the suggestion but I just tried that and it still plays like crap. I just got my beta key and this is killing me. Before when I played ai the game ran smooth it just stuttered every once in awhile. Now, online, it runs choppy, and it stutters. Its almost unplayable. Ive tried turning my graphics to low and setting a framerate cap of 30.