v5.1 - First time I lost to a non-cheating AI...

Started by Mangala, March 01, 2010, 12:07:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mangala

It's pretty good. In a 4FFA I finished one off and the AI finished off another and then came for me. It had massed battelcruisers and crushed me no matter how many Thors and Vikings I threw at it.

Supposed Enhancements:
- Better scouting
- Constant & Persistent expansion
- Making more use of it's money
(Turdburgler said it was what he would have written for v5.0 had it not been 4am  :-\ )

Turd also said v6.0 will be brutal: Using all of it's money, randomized build orders, reactive playing...

Gamewiz

Can someone confirm this is legit? There is no release on the main wiki, so I'm just wanting to make sure. No offense, Mangala. :)

Marlowe

Gamewiz

Quote from: Marlowe on March 01, 2010, 12:22:41 PM
Official link (from #sc2c' topic)

http://www.mediafire.com/?5n5vzaon2ay

Sorry, just confirmed it myself with the irc chat. Just wanting to be careful. There have been enough losers on here posted sh*t links that I'm just being careful. :)

BoBoStariaN

I hope the team can get some rest..it's a shame I have little knowledge on programing

WeezyFD

Gamewiz

Quote from: BoBoStariaN on March 01, 2010, 12:36:21 PM
I hope the team can get some rest..it's a shame I have little knowledge on programing

I'm sure they are getting rest. This isn't a job, it's a hobby. They aren't getting paid. If they are working hard on it, it's because they ENJOY doing it, not because they feel like they owe us something. I'm very grateful for their work, but don't worry about them. If they didn't enjoy doing this, I'm sure they wouldn't be working on it as much as they are. ;)

Quote from: WeezyFD on March 01, 2010, 12:40:22 PM
Thanks to the team. Lookin forward to 6.0!

I agree! If 6.0 really does what they are claiming, it's going to be freaking awesome. :)

Wowzur

Great job to the team.  Just a couple thoughts for the next version:
- AI expands much too early and frequently, overextending their units which ultimately leaves them with little to attack/defend with
- Perhaps putting in reactionary expanding (ie sending units to attack, counter, other team extends etc) although im not sure how easy that would be to code

Gamewiz

Quote from: Wowzur on March 01, 2010, 12:46:07 PM
Great job to the team.  Just a couple thoughts for the next version:
- AI expands much too early and frequently, overextending their units which ultimately leaves them with little to attack/defend with
- Perhaps putting in reactionary expanding (ie sending units to attack, counter, other team extends etc) although im not sure how easy that would be to code

I think bottom-line is the AI needs more "reacting" actions opposed to proactive actions. Right now, it seems like that AI has all these predefined things like "at xx time expand to nearest expansion" and "continue building tech and then spam max tier units at endgame", when it needs that, plus more reactive actions like "if player has xx units, build xx units to counter" and "if player expands, and randomizer to attack players bases". The AI also needs more randomizers, like a random "roll of the dice" to suddenly build up a few transports, load them up, and go for a random harvesting site to harass the player economy.

I have no clue about programming, so I don't even know what's possible, but actions like these need to be more frequent. What will make the AI more difficult is random, yet AGGRESSIVE actions. Right now the AI plays (haven't tried 5.1 yet, this is based off v5) very "noobish". They are gun shy, and won't attack unless they have a decent sized force, but even then, will not commit to their attacks, yet will keep trying the same strategy over and over.

lecrycry

The AI is still easy. It's not enough agressive. It don't attack or counter when it have the avantage and never drop or harass.

And when you kill his army it don't recreate fast a new army. it have to use money.

gravylegs

I just got it handed to me by zerg cuz I tried to go air (banshees only), and he ramped up muta production and i was toast.

itsarabbit

Quote from: gravylegs on March 01, 2010, 01:24:17 PM
I just got it handed to me by zerg cuz I tried to go air (banshees only), and he ramped up muta production and i was toast.
Vice versa for me.
Want Beta key! :D

Gamewiz

Quote from: gravylegs on March 01, 2010, 01:24:17 PM

Well, not trying to be an ass, but that sounds like you just failing to do proper scouting, rather than the AI being smarter. ;)

trusdurden

just played the 5.1 and it is a lot better than the v5. was playing a 1v5 FFA, with zerg and it was really difficult, was attacked by two protoss and it took me time to win this game. the AI is using ground and air units. they expand, but maybe they are scouting too much. the units are still back and forth too much as well..

anyway i want to thank the team as well, they did a great work. have been waiting so long to play starcraft 2, you guys are gods

trusdurden

oh i forgot, another thing : the AI still waits too much time before creating another army after the first got killed