Will Fastest Possible Map be in StarCraft 2?

Started by imsorrisuck, March 01, 2010, 09:23:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

imsorrisuck

While I do play it now I think that it wrecked the original and people that play it miss out on a lot of the real strat that starcraft is about. Do you think this map will be in StarCraft 2? & nothing against or for it just curious. Thanks!!

zed

There will most definitely be a way to stack minerals again or change (increase) the rate of extraction of both minerals and gas.
First version of a fastest map will probably be out minutes after the editor is released.

Hades

I actualy liked fastest map alot, but i have come to love the others just recently in sc2 :P

It will definetly be out once the editor is.

cyricc

Quote from: Hades on March 01, 2010, 09:33:10 PM
It will definetly be out once the editor is.

Well not fully true, once they have a HACKED editor that allows to stack mins, since the original did not but Starforge dealt away with that little problem. I figure Blizz will follow tradition and disallow stacking in their official editor, but since there is clear indication in the game that units overlap and stack on top of each other this is definitely possible, just need to wait.

PatouPower

Well, I hope it will not be implemented... I started with these kind of maps in SC1 because my friend played it, and I missed on a lot of things early on because of that. I only started playing Lost Temple hardcorly (?) the last 2-3 years and never went back to it...

This map is really killing the real game, taking away most of the strategy. No need any expansion, no need minerals gestion, just rally your guys on the mineral and let them gather. It's like if in the "age of" series you had infinite amount of animals right next to your town center so you can't be raided when gathering food...

Finally, even if it's there, it won't be counted as a real win (unlike in SC1). In SC2, real wins will be from matchmaking and you can't play these maps there if Blizzard don't put it. Of course people will play it in lobbies game, but it will be counted more as Use Map Settings-like game IMHO.

Vernam7

just press in game the ++++ key it increases the speed to fastest like original starcraft did

its so easy! 8)

Gamewiz

This sort of map will definitely come out soon after release, you can count on it. To those saying it kills strategy, I agree with you, but then just don't play it. It won't affect you at all if you just don't play on those types of maps. Saying that it ruins strategy and makes you, as a player, get sloppy and dependent on them is like a fat guy blaming McDonalds for making him fat.

ElvishSolution

Personally I believe there is a time and a place for Fastest possible maps.  In my case after 4-5 hours of playing ladder, I would get bored of competitive play, and (provided I wanted to play more SC on that day) would move on to fastest possible.  Mostly what I would do in those cases is just mess around have fun, and take a break from serious micro and really focusing on a win.  Also its a great place to try new build orders and such.

Also I'm sure it will be only a few weeks after release of retail until the modders get the Galaxy editor cracked to shit, and then will be able to do whatever they want. 

As stated prior however, the game system will work like WarCraft III, you can play whatever modded map you like in a Custom Game, but if you go to Matchmaking or Arranged Team (only two methods to get wins on your profile), you can only play maps selected by Blizzard.
Practice might make perfect, but some are good without it.

cyricc

Nesreca

No one will have to crack the Galaxy editor because Blizzard is giving full functions to us, the users.

Watch the video in this thread: http://darkblizz.org/Forum2/galaxy-maps/galaxy-map-editor-who's-excited!!/   near the bottom if you haven't already. ;)

a_grue

just did a quick test and i got a stack of approximately 8 minerals working

<Unit id="250" variation="8" position="75,85,0" scale="1,1,1" unitType="MineralField"/>

just have to paste this line into the "objects" file for every mineral that you want to stack

update 1:

interesting, it seems that the nexus will be displaced if you attempt to place a mineral too close to it, forcing the minimum mineral distance

wd40bomber7

Quote from: a_grue on March 07, 2010, 08:22:00 PM
just did a quick test and i got a stack of approximately 8 minerals working

<Unit id="250" variation="8" position="75,85,0" scale="1,1,1" unitType="MineralField"/>

just have to paste this line into the "objects" file for every mineral that you want to stack

update 1:

interesting, it seems that the nexus will be displaced if you attempt to place a mineral too close to it, forcing the minimum mineral distance

That's just triggers probably, when we get the full editor we can probably just put things wherever we want, or modify the base buildings to allow placement anywhere.

Rain[sun]

I would think you could change it in a better way.
They only made fastest maps because that was the best way to go about doing it, what if you can make each mineral chunk give 100 minerals? Then you don't need to stack.

Since you can't do ladder-fastest, itll be custom games and then theres no limit to what you can edit
better wear your shades, the spotlights here can burn holes through the stage

uber1984

I got curious, and began to tinker with an MPQ editor, and this was the result after 3 minutes.

http://6300project.com/2UberScrapStation.rar

http://6300project.com/6UberMetalopolis5x.rar
http://6300project.com/4UberLostTemple.rar

It's scrap station, but with high yield resources, and lots of gas.

Cheers!
uber1984

Hildalgo

I know this has probably been previously stated but, i think the galaxy editor won't be able to stack minerals or place a starting location closer than you can while playing the game. I don't think the galaxy editor team wants us to play different style melee maps and yes i do know about the diversity of this revolutionary editor, maybe it might be possible, we'll just have to wait i guess. just my thought.
Nature doesn't just adapt. Nature cheats, changes the rules, and slips out the back door with your wallet while you're still trying to figure out what the hell happened.